Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old September 5th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Forum Leader

Default Alfred Adler on Medical Insurance: 2012 or 1903?

In his timely article, "Government Aid or Self-Help," Alfred Adler challenged the medical profession and the affluent to support government sponsored medical insurance. Although written in 1903, describing the political debates in Vienna, the issues echo our current health care controversies. Adler emphasized that government cannot be relied on to reform health care, that any meaningful progress could only come from the efforts of the medical profession. Read his provocative article at www.Adlerian.us/adler-govt-aid.htm.
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Associate Moderator

Exclamation Re: Alfred Adler on Medical Insurance: 2012 or 1903?

From the Canadian experience at least here in Ontario, government is not only unable to reform health care, but it will probably create a bureaucratic and expensive and intrusive nightmare. I am not excluding governmental assistance for the poor and folks with catastrophic needs, but a sole provider, state only operated system without the cleansing effects of a free market economy is a guarantee for disaster. It will also prove to be very expensive. On the other hand a sole source of health care service moneys in the private sector is just a different type of evil. I understand that the British have a rather effective private/public system and a very fine health care system where the poor and rich are treated with equality as suffering humans regardless of their financial standing. Many years ago I met a senior British orthopedic surgeon and professor who, when I asked him if he got payed for his services on the public ward responded, "Oh God no, I have an embarrassment of money. I do this because I wish to and want to!" He looked confused by my question. I would beg the American people not to adopt the sole source Canadian system with its frightening civil service overburden.
Old September 6th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Alfred Adler on Medical Insurance: 2012 or 1903?

Do you think that the not-for-profit healthcare system, similar to the Willis Knighton approach in Louisiana (USA) <http://www.wkhs.com/About/History.aspx> is a possible solution?
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Associate Moderator

Default Re: Alfred Adler on Medical Insurance: 2012 or 1903?

It does look well done "but" who competes with them to ensure they "stay honest"? I still feel a public/private competitive system would be best. These folks are competing with the insurance industry, is what I suspect, but I do not understand how health care is financed in the USA.