Cape Cod Institute

Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > BOL Forums > Meditation In Psychotherapy

Notices

Unread August 1st, 2004, 10:11 PM

Thumbs up Praying in session

Hello,

Meditation in psychotherapy? How about having the clinician pray with the client in the session? Does anyone do that in their practices?

AJ
Unread August 2nd, 2004, 08:13 AM
Associate Moderator

Lightbulb Re: Praying in session

Working as an Adlerian therapist, should a client request prayer and the request would support the work and not avoid the task, yes I will pray with them. I will first ask why they wish me to pray and what it is they seek from God. I assure them that I "have no hot line" and that the effects of prayer rest very much on their belief, but I do believe in that which is greater than we, and it seems unwise to not draw on all available resources.
George Neeson M.D.
Unread August 3rd, 2004, 11:38 PM

Question Re: Praying in session

Hello,

I brought that topic up for a reason. I did my thesis on prayer and when i went looking for journal resources most of the stuff i came across were articles against praying in session. Most said that was regarded for the field of pastoral counseling. Presently i have a therapist who has honored my request for opening the session and/or ending the session in prayer and me reading a short prayer from a bok. The therapist is also a christian as i am though he/she is not listed as a christian counselor. I guess it helps greatly if the therapist is of the same religion as the client. Some articles i found informed me that most secular therapists who are't religious do not become knowledgable of the clients religious background because they do not want to engage in it even though it is important to the client. I guess it greatly depends on the therapist and the client and their religious backgrounds. Personally, i have found great solice in others praying for me to the point of inner healing. But it is hard to find a therapist who will openly pray. I think most therapists find they do not believe in anything outside of theories that will "heal."

Now this brings up another point that has been bothering me:Where is the power to change in secular therapy? How does the client change? With God, He is the changer, if you will. Just a few thoughts.
Unread August 4th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Associate Moderator

Default Re: Praying in session

Anna I would not like to imply that "God is the changer" but rather that He will assist us to change in a cooperation with Him. I too am a Christian and praying in session is a helpful thing to do. I do not wish it to appear as a "magical solution to human difficulties" but rather to make it clear that God is willing to assist us in our difficulties but also cares enough about us, and respects us sufficiently, that a psychological maturation process is part of growth just as it is in a child. I am more apt to request His help for myself when I can't, based on Adler's theory, figure out the client's movement. It is helpful to know that the "Designer of the human mind" is willing to assist us!
Unread August 4th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Unhappy Re: Praying in session

George,

Yes God "assists" us. But in my worldview He is the one that changed/healed me from two addictions i had. I asked for his help and prayed and over time it wasn't anything that i did differently. I asked for His help. HE changed me. How can you explain that? That ties into the second problem i was talking about that you didn't address. How does the client change? I understand about "bottoming out." But before that happens how does change happen? Is it wanting to please the therapist? For me talking about my problems didn't help. And talking about them didnt help me to want to change. But with God His power or whatever you want to call it, He stopped me and took away the desire from these addictions. How can a humanistic theory assist anyone to want to change? I know that could be another topic for a different group but it doesn't fit into the other categories.

A
Unread August 8th, 2004, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Praying in session

Hi Anna,

Ah, but you did do something different, you asked for help through prayer. You also had the will and the desire to conquere your addictions. Will power is very strong. I feel you should give yourself some credit for your overcoming your addictions, for you did have the will power to do so, and that strength comes from within one's self.
Unread November 21st, 2004, 10:13 AM
Associate Moderator

Exclamation Re: Praying in session

What I would like to point out is that He did it in cooperation with Him. He does not violate or impose. I can't remember the Biblical reference off the top of my head, but in the NLB Paul refers to us as "cooperators with Him". He does not do magic tricks but in all that He does He seems to work teleologically, not randomly. Of course He heals and not we! A more cogent concern is that we so seldom ask!