Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old February 11th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Forum Leader

Talking Mrs. Obama: Rescuing Males

The comparison between male and female variation on many traits suggests that females will spend a lot of time pulling males into line. Michelle Obama fits the pattern! Great essay by Monica Langley!

JimB

from the Wall Street Journal

"Michelle Obama Solidifies Her Role in the Election

"By MONICA LANGLEY

"February 11, 2008; Page A1

"On a conference call to prepare for a recent debate, Barack Obama brainstormed with his top advisers on the fine points of his positions. Michelle Obama had dialed in to listen, but finally couldn't stay silent any longer...'Barack," she interjected, 'Feel -- don't think!' Telling her husband his 'over-thinking' during past debates had tripped him up with rival Hillary Clinton, she said: 'Don't get caught in the weeds. Be visceral. Use your heart -- and your head.'... She's the heart to his head, the enforcer to his lapses, regimented to his laid-back, critic to his ego, details to his broad strokes, sarcasm to his sincerity, toughness to his cool vibe... A young woman asked Mrs. Obama what her 'First Lady platform' would be. 'To make sure my kids have their heads on straight,' Mrs. Obama said. 'We can talk about the high-falutin' notion of a First Spouse platform, but here I am, a woman professional who has to work on top of my first job as a mother.' ... Taken aback, the young woman said, 'I'm sorry.'"

More at http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120269904120358135.html
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Mrs. Obama: Rescuing Males

Females save males, even in national politics! Happy Valentines!
JimB

"February 14, 2008

"Michelle Obama Takes to the Trail

"By SUSAN SAULNY
"CHICAGO — There is no confusing Michelle Obama for her husband on the campaign trail...Asked at the Democratic debate in Los Angeles whether he would pick Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton as a vice-presidential running mate, Senator Barack Obama said she 'would be on anybody's short list.'

"But when a television interviewer asked Mrs. Obama last week whether she would support Mrs. Clinton, if she won the nomination, Mrs. Obama was less generous.

"'I'd have to think about that,' Mrs. Obama said on 'Good Morning America' on ABC. 'I'd have to think about — policies, her approach, her tone.'

"Outspoken, strong-willed, funny, gutsy and sometimes sarcastic, Michelle Obama is playing a pivotal role in her husband's campaign as it builds on a series of successes, including a sweep on Tuesday of contests in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia."

More at: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/14/us...gewanted=print