Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old September 21st, 2006, 02:18 PM

Default diagnosis

i have a patient 40 yr old who is intellegent and hardworking, hes is seemingly sober and composed but he thinks he is madly in love with a girl since a long time. hes constanly hounds and harasses the girl. any form of psychotherapy is fruitless with him.
please advice regarding diagnosis and management
Old October 28th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Default Re: diagnosis

> i have a patient 40 yr old who is intellegent and hardworking, hes is seemingly sober and composed but he thinks he is madly in love with a girl since a long time. hes constanly hounds and harasses the girl. any form of psychotherapy is fruitless with him. please advice regarding diagnosis and management

I would suggest referring him on for a psychiatric assessment.

Does he know that the person he is following around is not in love with him, or does he believe that she is?

Sometimes people have delusions where they believe a person is in love with them even though the person is not.

I would be a little concerned that the person he is following might press charges against him if he is following her around and harrassing her.

Therapy would probably be the way to go... But a dx assessment by a psychiatrist would probably be a good first port of call and he may benefit from medication.

It is hard to say without knowing more... Could be obsessive thoughts about her (OCD) could be control issues... Who knows...
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:00 AM

Default Re: diagnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagugta
i have a patient 40 yr old who is intellegent and hardworking, hes is seemingly sober and composed but he thinks he is madly in love with a girl since a long time. hes constanly hounds and harasses the girl. any form of psychotherapy is fruitless with him.
please advice regarding diagnosis and management
If I may suggest a form of therapy?

If you induce an hypnotic trance in which he can progress in time and then confront him with a virtual dialog in which the girl can say clearly NO to him or show him what kind of a relationship he would have with her showing him that this won’t last for long, you may book great success. Check on Milton Ericson how this progressive trance can work for your client.

Please let me know how you think about this.