Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old September 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Forum Leader

Arrow Fred Hussey: RIP

Jim,

I'm saddened to report that Fred passed away Saturday September 5th. He didn't want to linger and be a burden on any of us. Life just became too difficult. He left me a beautiful, precious note and I am deeply comforted by that. He SO loved his family. Please pass along this sad news to your evolutionary psychology group.

It is not an untrue statement to say that his life was taken from him due to complications from his liver disease, primary sclerosing cholangitis. He is resting in the arms of God now, of that Fred and I are absolutely assured.

The family requests that, for those who wish, tax-deductible donations can be made to PSC Partners Seeking a Cure, 5237 S. Kenton Way, Englewood, CO 80111.

Thank you for being his friend.

Shelley

This is difficult for all of us who remember a champion of both God and evolution. I will miss him at my side. He also fought after his colon surgery by being the most cooperative, independent patient in the hospital. So much so that the nurses fought to keep him on their floor!

Jim Brody
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Fred Hussey: RIP

I'm sorry for this loss. Fred was always a worthy adversary with a keenly focused mind and a good heart. I loved his obsessions at times when he railed against cognitive therapy and held his own against some of its big boys. Definitely someone you wanted on your side rather than against you, though that could be hard to manage at times. I've been thinking about him fondly. He was one of the most memorable people I've known. Equally comfortable decimating you with metaphysics, humor, or data. Amazing and regretful to think I never met him in person.
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Forum Leader

Cool Re: Fred Hussey: RIP

Shelley was touched by your remarks and feels that Fred would have treasured them.

Many thanks!

In regard to synchrony and managing this forum, I need to find someone to argue with you...not just for the forum but for your own development!

Jim
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:24 PM

If he'd treasure those words, I hope he knew that's how I felt before he passed. We infuriated each other in the past but we seemed to understand each other a little better over time as well. He was a very great teacher and mentor to me, sometimes against my will.
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Forum Leader

Arrow For Todd Stark

Hi Todd (copying Jim Brody)-

I wanted to tell you how much your words about Fred meant to me - he would have been honored to know how you felt (and perhaps he does/did at some level). I just saw your second post about Fred written on Sept. 11, and it made me cry all over again! Todd - I will treasure your words always. They comfort me.

This often exacerbating//frustrating/stubborn/complicated/persistent/determined/funny/intelligent/strong/handsome man that I loved for over 31 years - he was so humble, to the point of self-loathing, about his intellectual capabilities. I was never convinced he was "mediocre," as he often described himself. But I don't think I appreciated just how bright Fred was until after his death, after hearing all the comments from the eulogizers at his funeral (which was amazing and uplifting - the "best funeral I've ever attended" was heard more than once), to people he "sparred" with, like you, Todd. He often spoke of you, and I KNOW he enjoyed the well-fought battles with you. I find you both quite eloquent, and you probably share similar character traits. (Dare I say that Todd? It's meant as a compliment!)

Jim Brody said it best when he dedicated one of his posts to Fred saying; To Fred Hussey: RIP. A warrior for both his God and for the science they shared.

When I bury Fred's ashes, I've decided the grave plate will read: Frederick James Hussey, Jr. Husband, Father, and Warrior for God. Thank you Jim - brilliant! (Want a byline on the grave plate?)

And Jim- Thank you for enriching Fred's life by being his friend and giving him a forum wherein to post his thoughts. I can tell you he often spent hours and hours writing those posts - he was meticulous with his thought processes and wording, punctuation - the whole 9 yards.

You are both invited to post any further thoughts/comments/memories about Fred at www.mem.com. He's got his own perpetual webpage there. I haven't posted anything yet - had other priorities.

Warm regards to you both,

Shelley

P.S. Am including a photo taken a year ago of Fred and me on our 30th anniversary. Don't know if Todd's ever seen a picture of Fred. By the way - people said to me, upon seeing that photo - "Are you wearing your ORIGINAL dress?" To which I replied, "That's not the story here. The story is that THAT'S MY ORIGINAL HUSBAND!" God love him - and he does. Me too. Gotta go - am shedding tears on my keyboard.

Last edited by James Brody; October 16th, 2009 at 12:34 PM..
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM

I didn't realize Fred was a decade older than me, I always pictured him as younger because of the energy he projected with his writing. It was quite obvious to me that there was nothing mediocre about him; he was quite exceptional. The most intriguing thing about him to me was what I saw as a bittersweet combination of humility, obsessiveness, and supreme confidence in his own thought processes that let him enthusiastically and eloquently engage all sorts of topics that most people are afraid to broach and yet take a principled stand on them. He was particularly talented at leveraging complex technical ideas from diverse sources to make a point.

His memorial page at MEM.COM is here.