Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old December 4th, 2006, 02:13 AM

Default Lankton's idea on training for customer service staff

Dear Stephen

I have attended your training years ago in HK, you mentioned that you have once thought of / conduct a sort of training for airline/ customer service staff to deal with angry customers. Can you share a bit about your idea, or if any reference material would be available?

I have to work with a group of customer service staff, they get an idea that if they can be "protected" better if the company agreee to install a glass panel at the open counter to separate them with the angry customers.

I would like to hear your comment
1) The staff is demanding some physical installation (though it maight not really do real protection), I hesitate if an psychological subsitution would be useful?
2) How do you think about the idea of stress inoculation? Would you say both method achieving similar result while yours would be faster?
3) Other than bringing people into trance to stengthen their personal boundary, would it be useful to use any anchor/ symbols in reality to remind they are still "protected"?
4) How would you comment on helpfulness on training alone, if the company did not provided necessary support in policy level?

Last edited by 2beornot2be; December 8th, 2006 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: typo
Old January 13th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Lankton's idea on training for customer service staff

If they have had such angry customers that they need bullet proof glass, they need some SERIOUS communication training! Possibly adding words like 'please,' 'just a moment,' and 'thank you' would save lives until that training can occur!

I seriously doubt that things are that bad, however. The training for them to feel safe and feel clever, engaging, happy, etc., is psychological training and what I recommend is what I call "Self-Image Thinking Training" - the theory and much of the protocol is explained in a chapter of my book THE ANSWER WITHIN.

I hope that helps.
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Lankton's idea on training for customer service staff

Dear Stephen

It helps a lot, thanks. I got the book.