Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old December 3rd, 2006, 04:43 PM

Default I want to find professional colleagues

Dear Sirs!

My name is Tatiana Kochetova (Moscow, Russia, 33 years old). I am a professional psychologist and a teacher of social psychology.

Two years ago I have finished postgraduate study in Institute of Psychology of Russian Academia of Science and have written the dissertation. My scientific interests: evolutionary stable strategies, altruism, evolutionary psychology of status and reputation.

Now I am currently giving lectures in the Moscow Municipal Psychological University affiliated with the Institute of Psychology of the Russian Academy of Education, where I have students and post-graduate students who are helping me with the sampling. I have some articles in the Russian scientific journals... (about me: http://www.tkochetova.rbcmail.ru)

I would like to know about possibilities for postdoctoral training in USA. It is very important for me, because I'm going to study evolutionary psychology and to develop this scientific investigation in Russia.

I know that my English is not good, but I study it, because I need it for my researches... And sorry for my mistakes.

I hope you can spare a minute to reply to this message. Thanks.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 06:02 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: I want to find professional colleagues

Tatiana,

Thanks for your inquiry...

Try www.HBES.com for information about graduate programs in EP.

And you will find that HBES has a heavy participation from women: "Dear Colleague" will probably serve you better than "Dear Sir."

JimB
Old December 5th, 2006, 06:57 AM

Thanks. I know that my English isn't good and I study it for my job... Once more - thank you.
Old December 7th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Forum Leader

Ei blogadariu vas...tsevauw horoshovo!

JimB

Last edited by James Brody; December 7th, 2006 at 01:23 PM..
Old December 8th, 2006, 11:27 AM

O! Thank you for you warm words on Russian. It is very touching!

T.K.
Old December 17th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Associate Moderator

Lightbulb Re: I want to find professional colleagues

It has been said by Alexander Muller that "If there is no God we are a tragic event between two nothings". Have a look at Classical Adlerian Psychology on this forum. It adds an element more in keeping with some of the implications of quantum mechanics and the current understandings of the "non-locality" effect in physics. The anti-theistic bias in the biological sciences is not found in the true sciences like quantum mechanics and cosmology. For some hard English reading, look at David Bohm's book, "Wholeness and the Implicate Order" published in paperback by Ark publications from Britain. (It is out of print but used copies are available on line.) He was a very fine minded theoretical physicist. My son is a quantum mechanical physicist who worked on the "tau neutrino" research team with Atomic Energy Canada Limited. You have probably been raised in an educational system that teaches a closed ended or random chance only universe and that may not represent open minded thinking and therefore good science. I have to watch that my personal assumptions do not interfere too severely with the attainment of good knowledge. Greetings from a colleague in Canada!

Last edited by George Neeson; December 17th, 2006 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Thumbs up Re: professional colleagues & anti-theistic bias

Quote:
[George N. says:] The anti-theistic bias in the biological sciences is not found in the true sciences like quantum mechanics and cosmology.
Indeed. Compare the sentiments of Mr. Selfish Gene himself, Richard Dawkins, the Oxford zoologist and Darwinian alpha atheist blowhard:
Quote:
In a universe of electrons and selfish genes, blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe that we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but pitiless indifference.
To the views of true scientists:
Quote:
[Einstein:] “Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe—a spirit vastly superior to that of man....”
[Max Planck:] “There is no matter as such! All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.”
[Roger Penrose:] "I would say the universe has a purpose. It's not there just somehow by chance."
Old December 18th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Thank you for answer... But when I've written my message I didn't want to discuss about "the anti-theistic bias in the biological sciences", "tau neutrino" research" and educational system in Russia...
I'm a young teacher and I'm going to research evolutionary stable strategies in status-hierarchical of human's behavior... So, I'm interested in evolutionary psychology of altruism and psychology of envy (I had written about it in my message).
I want to find professional colleagues, who keens interest in these themes.
... Sorry, if I've made mistakes.
Old December 18th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Forum Leader

Tatiana,

Fred often writes of grand things, thank you for bring us to earth. He resembles, however, a dying friend whom I met just last night and for whom i grieve:

"A mid December evening after a day of 60 degree weather. I type in my sunroom and notice the last moth of summer. It makes small circles on the other side of the glass, kept out in the chill and away from the light over my shoulder. A metaphor for me, for everyone of us when kept from pursuing our nature..."

Fred does what he does with gusto, abundance, passion and never a doubt. I envy him despite whatever kinship he and the rest of us share with that moth.

The geneticist, CD Darlington commented that men do now what they have always done and will do tomorrow that they do today. You can find him in Russian on Wikipedia.

PS: stop apologizing for your English. It's far better than most Americans! (Not much of a compliment, given what average Americans now do, but it's the best I have..."

JimB
Old December 18th, 2006, 07:20 PM

Quote:
JimB: Fred often writes of grand things, thank you for bring us to earth. He resembles, however, a dying friend whom I met just last night and for whom i grieve.
Well, we’re all dying.

I think Tatiana was actually referring to George Neeson’s remark regarding the “anti-theistic bias in the biological sciences [that] is not found in the true sciences,” and not to my endorsement of his insight.

Hope George sticks around—a little less anti-theistic bias around here might provide a little more balance, don’t you think?