Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old December 11th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Default Need for theory in Ericksonian therapy?

Hi, I´m a psychology student in sweden who is very interested in using Ericksonian technicues in my future work.

I have read that erickson thought a theorie would make the therapiest inflexible and unable to meet the client where they are.
I strongly agree that theories can get in the way of the meeting, but I also think that theory is very necessary, at least for the beginning therapiest, to understand the clients problem and to know what needs to be changed.

So my question is: which theory of human psychopatology fits best with Ericksonian approaches? And wich is most usefull to develop the ability to understand the client and what to change in the context of Ericksonian psychotherapy?

In my school we have to choose between CBT and psychodynamic psychotherapy. Which one would be best as a foundation for working with Ericksonian influenced therapy?

Thanks
Kristoffer Pettersson
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Need for theory in Ericksonian therapy?

I ought not to be the right person in answering this question as I am just a new comer to Ericksonian Therapy. Some well-known followers are famous for their ability to utilize their own approach with the Ericksonian therapy, it is a different from simply eclectic. Read the work of Rossi, you will find how Jung talk with Erickson(though it is difficult to me), Yapko beautifully utilize the stregth of CBT in his work too. However, I personally find the change focus of Ericksonian Therapy are better fit with theory that also promote a change, you can find Erickson do desensitization in his work, rather than explaination of the past.

Last edited by 2beornot2be; December 13th, 2006 at 12:05 AM..
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Thanks, I will check into Yapko´s work.

But I was locking for some thoughts about what is really necessary for working therapeutically with hypnotherapy.
If we imagine a person who don't know anything about psychology or any kind of psychotherapy, and only reads a lot of books on Ericksonian approches. Would that person be able to do good therapy? Probably not. And my question is which those basic knowledges are that is needed for doing effective hypnotherapy?

Sorry for my bad english.

/ Kristoffer
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Hi Kristoffer,

In response to your question "which theory of human psychopathology fits best with Ericksonian approaches?", I would suggest reformulating the question to; "What ideas about human potential, growth and development, fit best with Erickson's approach?" As much as I agree with you that it is helpful, at least in the early stages, to have a theoretical orientation, I believe it is important to bear in mind that while theory may serve as an organizing principle around which you may collect and sort your data, observations and interpersoanl sense, it is no substitute for being genuinely human.

I understand that you are offered one of two theoretical tracts. Given both my experience in graduate school (a very positive one) and in following the debates in the literature, it is not hard to see that people are passionate about their beliefs. As a student you will find a balance between navigating the beliefs among and within the schools of thought and remaining true to your own sense of what is mutative and effective. Furthermore, you can enjoy how this changes over the course of your training and career.

If you are not familiar with the work of Scott Miller, I would encourage you to familiarize yourself with it. He does a great deal of research on psychotherapy outcome. He was once featured in the Erickson Foundation newsletter. In that interview, he reported that all schools of psychotherapy are equally effective. That is, no one theoretical orientation is any more effective than any other orientation. However, one predictior of successful psychotherapy outcome is the therapists belief that his or her orientation is the most effective.

Given the questions you are asking, it is my guess that your curiosity will lead you to integrate a wide range of ideas with your personal experiences thus creating your own unique art of psychotherapy.

Good luck and Best Wishes,
Rob