Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old October 24th, 2004, 11:42 PM

Default Trauma and Pregnancy?

Hello,

This is not precisely an EMDR question, but I have read over the discussions of dissociative clients and ego state interference and thought this might be a good place to post. I have a dissociative client (however, stable and functioning) who finds the framework of EMDR and cbt useful, ie, targets and SUDS and identifying cognitions. The systematic approach seems to be grounding and normalizing.

In any case, while I would not use EMDR with this client, I am interested in suggestions as to possible "targets" and "cognitions". The client is a mother who is planning to become pregnant again. Unfortunately, due to an abusive and neglectful childhood, she was coerced into an abortion as a young adolescent. Her previous (adult) pregnancies have caused her a great deal of anxiety as she has the belief that if others know she is pregnant, they will harm the fetus and/or her. She goes to great lengths to conceal her pregnancies and as that becomes impossible, she becomes increasingly agitated. She would prefer to gain some control over this issue before becoming pregnant again.

I have found one article by, I believe, Carol Forgash, which addressed issues of enmeshment, physical and emotional invasion, abuse and pregnancy. As well, there are obvious grief and control issues, not to mention troubles with seeing medical personnel as beneficient and trustworthy.

Any ideas as to how to "break up" these issues... and what other issues might be involved, would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time and thoughts, Lucy J.
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Trauma and Pregnancy?

That an interesting and important question, and I am pondering over whether to answer it here, since as you say, its not really an EMDR question. Its a dissociation question, but what makes it marginal is the fact that you are using the EMDR structure. Still, I am going to demur, lest I end up talking outside of EMDR about dissociation.

Colin Ross has published this book ---2nd edition of his book on dissociation, which is Dissociative Identity Disorder: Diagnosis, Clinical Features and Treatment of Multiple Personality. New York: Wiley. 2nd Edition, 1997. In it he has a wonderful list of negative cognitions that are typical in DID. That's a great place to start. Also, Joan Golston has a similar list of themes. You might benefit from being on the ISSD discussion list, a very worthy organization. Joan is there, as are many other well respect dissociation experts.