Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old May 6th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Default Taking a decision

I currently have a job but I am offered another function in another place. And I do not know which decision to take. And I even do not know which questions to raise if I go to an interview.

How would you investigate this question with the help of hypnosis ?

Probably you will consider my question as a fantasy. But I experienced that, thanks to hypnosis, I am able to make links among pieces of information, links that I am not able to make when I am in a normal state.
Old May 7th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Taking a decision

It is easy to go into a trance and compare your experiential reactions to two events you have lived. It is therefore easy for most clients, even those out of contact with their feelings to recognize whether or not one experience suited them better than another even when they include their values, ideals, and responsibilities. However, these are all "experienced" events.

You wish to contrast an experienced event with an imagined future event. Keep in mind, too, there is not objective future out there. Nor is there an objective present that impacts upon you now. Ultimately, the world is what we create it to be within limits or our learning and the we use those learnings to interact with the stimulus cues we encounter.

So, you might best ask yourself in trance "given what I know I can bring to interact with the stimulu in the new job, am I going to be creating something I will enjoy or will I be creating it into something I will not?" Also, in trance imagine doing both and compare. While comparing notice and learn what you can do to create a desirable future and notice what you must avoid doing to avoid creating the undesirable one.

If you can't even imagine creating a desirable one - stay put. If you apply what you've learned by imagining the desiable one to the current job - stay put and make it more desirable (unless there are tangible benefits to the new one like insurance, salary, location, etc.). If you find that the things you can to to make the new job undesirable and what you have done on to current job to make it any less desirable - change the what you are doing in the current job to make it less desirable a.s.a.p. and then after the change sinks in, in a few weeks or months, re-evaluate the choices later.
Old June 25th, 2005, 04:06 PM

Mr Lankton, thanks a lot for your answer. Your approach helped me also to identify the questions I had to ask regarding this new function. Finally I decided to apply for it. My hierarchy reacted by proposing me a larger function where I am, what I had not expected. So I do not what will be the final issue, but I will keep you informed.

I have another question. You write :

"It is easy to go into a trance and compare your experiential reactions to two events you have lived. It is therefore easy for most clients, even those out of contact with their feelings to recognize whether or not one experience suited them better than another."

I am indeed the kind of person who is often out of contact with his own feelings (stranger to myself) and I would like to ask you to explian in more details how to investigate my own feelings through hypnosis.
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Forum Leader

Okay, now I don't mean to be rude or curt. The best way to investigate your own feelings is probably OUT of hypnosis and in moments of interpersonal contact. In the final analysis each person has his or her own unique history for accepting a "don't feel" or "don't show feelings" injunction in childhood. Bottom-line, we each have to be willing to show our feelings in the face of the same or similar stimuli that existed when we originally opted to hide them. And too, we have to stop the use of substitute feelings that we chose instead: depression, sulking, anger, no one understands me, defiance, martyrdom, etc. Both changes go hand-in-hand. Therapy for this can be done in and out of trance...and both ways is best. (no research, just clinical and personal experience.