Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old August 14th, 2004, 12:28 PM

Default Why didn't Dr. Erickson write a book?

Except the articles. I wonder this for a long time.

p.s. Hi, Steve. I used to post on the old forum. The old bookmark didn't work. And I've just come here by, say, unconscious guide? :-)
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Why didn't Dr. Erickson write a book?

Erickson did write, in addition to 4 book's worth of articles, two "real books." The titles are:

THE PRACTICAL APPLICATION OF MEDICAL AND DENTAL HYPNOSIS, by Erickson, Hershman, and Secter;

and, the second book title is

TIME DISTORTION IN HYPNOSIS: AN EXPERIMENTAL AND CLINICAL INVESTIGATION by Erickson and Cooper.

I'm glad you found your way back to the BOL forums.
Old August 21st, 2004, 04:36 PM

Question I mean, is that his intention?

Thanks so much for your response.

I don't know much about the first book you mentioned but as for the second one it's less than 40 pages out of 206 pages that is Dr. Erickson's, and I thought he said somewhere that Time Distortion was first developed by Cooper, right? That's why I always think that it's rather Cooper's book.
What if Dr. Bernard Gordon (and later Haley) had no idea to compile Advanced Techniques...?
What if Haley didn't write Uncommon Therapy (and before that, Strategies of Psychotherapy)?
And Rossi? And etc.?
What I really want to know is that it's just because he had no time/his quite ill or it's his intention?
If the latter is the case, then, what is the reason of his intention?
Did he consider that the book could not convey what he want to say?

Thanks for your answer (again)
Old August 25th, 2004, 01:41 AM
Forum Leader

Well, I don't know the answer to the 'what if' questions. He started ASCH and put a huge amount of energy into it. I don't think the 'norm' back in those days for to write a book. If you were scientifically minded you put papers in refereed journals. That is what he did. Book writing is sort of a more modern vanity, I suppose. Not to malign Freud, Adler, Jung, Charcot, Reick, etc., but folks like Fromm, and May, and Maslow, and Roger, all by-passed the peer review stage by writing books. Perhaps Erickson wanted the more difficult scientific/acedemic path to validate the work he did (that otherwise was controversial to say the least). There is no money in chapters and papers...books create revenue. He was not materialistic...just scientific. Maybe Jeff Zeig has a take on this?
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Forum Co-leader

I agree with Stephen that Dr. Erickson was from the tradition that you do not sell knowledge, you make it available to colleagues, which he did through journal articles. Remember that he was founding editor of the American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis for ten years and dedicated to its success.

I also think that his lack of writing books might have had something to do with his mosaic mind set. Writing a book is a linear task. Erickson wrote about diverse topic areas, which was more suited to journal articles.

Also, he was experiential in his approach more than didactic. He interests were "people-building" not psychoeducation.

I am sure that he did not think it a failing that he did not write books.

Thanks for the quiery

Jeff
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:56 AM

Default Thanks both of you so much.

Wow! Thanks both of you so much. I appreciate your answers. As I'm from Asia and not familair with speaking the last name, so hope you don't mind if I may call you Jeff.
I do know Dr.Erickson's greatness. He's great until I know him across the ocean (s). It's sad to say that, as far as I know, he's still less known in my country. It's hardly find his writings in any grand bookstores and I know for sure that I owned his writings more than any universities's libraries. (there's only one or two books by Rossi, Rosen's My voice will goes with you and yours, Jeff, but just only Milton H. Erickson and old Proceeding.)
My post didn't mean to challenge. It's jsut my admiration to him. Someone from Erickson Foundation wrote something about this stuff before (sorry, cannot remember his name). He said something like one has to "sit in" to learn Erickson's teaching. I'd rather agree.
Back to my question again, I read that Erickson once said that even Heley "tailor" his words. (let me borrow your word, Jeff.) That's why I'm curious that maybe he had no idea to write a book. (and I do agree with what you' ve just said, he didn't mind about money).
All in all, thanks again for your warm welcome. I will stick aroud here for a while. Hope you don't mind.

P.S. Jeff, do you really stop smoking your pipe? I could not even after I read your writing about him.
Old August 26th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Forum Co-leader

Yes, I really stopped smoking as an outcome of that intervention reported in Experiencing Erickson.

What country are you from?

Regards

Jeff
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Erickson believed only (doctors dentist ect) should be able Practice hypnosis maybe thats way he didnt?
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Forum Co-leader

Dr Erickson was mosaic, not linear. He wrote chapters and papers--all widely available. Others, who were more linear, took his work and put it into books, some with his collaboration.

Thanks

Jeffrey K. Zeig, Ph.D.
The Milton Erickson Foundation
3606 N. 24th St
Phoenix, AZ 85016
tele: 602-944-6529
cell: 602-684-1918
jeff@erickson-foundation.org

www.evolutionofpsychotherapy.com
www.erickson-foundation.org/10thCongress
www.erickson-foundation.org
www.ericksonfoundationstore.com
www.brieftherapyconference.com
www. couplesconference.com
www.jeffzeig.com
www.zeigtucker.com
Information folder: www.erickson-foundation.org/pr
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:36 AM

Just a quick note “Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton Erickson” volumes one and two by Bandler and Grinder are very good.
WR