Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old July 15th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Smile Re: Constructivism and Postmodernism

Dear colleague:

What he/she says of the innovations in the adlerian psychotherapy in the line of texts like: Oberst and Stewart: Adlerian Psychotherapy. An Advanced Approach Individual to Psychology. Brunner Routledge, 2003; where he/she intends a adlerian-constructivism and postmodern renovations?

Last edited by Henry Stein; September 4th, 2004 at 01:52 PM..
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:51 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Constructivism and Postmodernism

Your question is not clear, perhaps because it was originally composed in another language, and then translated into English online. However, I find it curious that Oberst and Stewart use the term"Classical Adlerian" without referencing an appropriate, accurate source and base many of their conclusions about Adlerian Psychology on the ideas of Rudolf Dreikurs, instead of Alfred Adler. This misleading mistake has also appeared in many other academic texts.

Last edited by Henry Stein; September 11th, 2004 at 01:08 AM..
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:44 PM

Question Re: Constructivism and Postmodernism

My English is poor

Thank you for their kind answer.

1-The chapter of Oberst and Steward Classical Adlerian Psychology is related with Dreikurs? . I have my doubts.

2-My question: Differences among a classic and other but current focus (p.e adlerian-postmodern)?

Last edited by Henry Stein; September 4th, 2004 at 01:54 PM..
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Forum Leader

The Oberst/Stewart chapter on "Classical Adlerian Psychology" makes no reference to the current practice using that name and its commmitment to Adler's original teachings and style of treatment, as well as an integration with Maslow's vision of optimal functioning (see http://http://go.ourworld.nu/hstein/). In their chapter "Adlerian Counseling and Psychology Today," they do reflect Dreikurs' ideas about psychotherapy (four phases) but omit any reference to the Classical Adlerian model of twelve stages (see http://go.ourworld.nu/hstein/theorprac.htm). There are significant differences between the Classical and Dreikrusian approaches to psychotherapy: the Classical approach is diplomatic, Socratic, and creative, whereas the Dreikursian approach is more directive, didactic and systematic. Although many other approaches have developed modest parallels to Adler's theory, none have adopted his constructs of a fictional final goal, or the feeling of community. For many, these ideas may be too challenging.

Last edited by Henry Stein; September 11th, 2004 at 01:09 AM..
Old July 25th, 2004, 11:59 AM

Thank you again

I sit down to differ with some of their statements; since if it is certain in the book of Oberst and Stewart:

1-if it picks up the social interest and their relationship with the ethics (I surrender 7).

2-He/she 2-has a focus adlerian-postmodernism; picking up, if it is certain, the contributions of Adler and Dreikurs.

3-The contributions of Maslow are in the I surrender 6 of Oberst and Stewart.

4-Questions the excessively directive approach and it defends approach diplomatic, Socratic, and creative and it defends the attitude deconstructionist (I surrender 7).

I would like to know that advantages observe in the classic focus on other but current; and their opinion on the approaches adlerian-constructivism

Last edited by Henry Stein; September 4th, 2004 at 01:55 PM..
Old July 25th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Forum Leader

Due to the complexity of the topics and the apparent language barrier, this discussion has become progressively puzzling to pursue. Perhaps someone else in the forum is more tuned in to your questions and the subjects of postmodernism and constructivism.

Last edited by Henry Stein; September 11th, 2004 at 01:10 AM..
Old July 25th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Thank you for their time and dedication

Last edited by Henry Stein; September 4th, 2004 at 01:57 PM..
Old September 5th, 2004, 01:16 AM

There are some links to Adlerian principals the postmodern group of psychotherapies in particular Motivational Interviewing and Solution Focused therapy. An article outlining some links is:

Watts, R. E., & Pietrzak, D. (2000). Adlerian "encouragement" and the therapeutic process of solution-focused brief therapy. Journal of Counseling & Development, 78, 442-447.

I also think some of the style and attitudes of Dialectical Behavioral Therapy mesh quite well with Adlerian Philosophy. In particular the Socratic approach and the idea of pulling oposites to the center.

Perhaps this will help.

Craig Tucker

PS. It has been about a year since I have visited this site. I like very much the changes. The old format with rather difficult to navigate. I will stop by some more now. Thank you for the nice work and generosity.
Old September 5th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Associate Moderator

Because of language difficulties, I can not determine what Juan Jose Riuz Sanchez means philosophically by the terms "post modernism" or "constructivism". The terms do not seem to be being used in the normal sense they hold philosophically. Can anyone who has read the refered to text tell me to what he refers? Thanks.
Old September 10th, 2004, 06:19 PM

Default PsicologÃÂ*a adleriana clásica y actual

Voy a utilizar el lenguaje español y ustedes lo traducen como deseen:

1-Existen diferencias entre la PsicologÃÂ*a Adleriana Clásica y la PsicologÃÂ*a Adleriana más actual

PsicologÃÂ*a Adleriana Clásica (p.e Stein) =/= PsicologÃÂ*a Adleriana Actual (p.e Stewart y Oberst)

2-La PsicologÃÂ*a Adleriana actual vá mas allá de los conceptos clásicos e incorpora métodos y conceptos de otras teorias psicológicas : cognitivas, constructivistas e integradoras.

3-La aportación de Dreikurs es tan adleriana como la de Stein, y nadie puede apropiarse la identidad adleriana. ¿Dreikurs es adleriano?, si.

Gracias.