Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old July 1st, 2006, 10:22 PM

Default Family Therapy Training

Mr. Lankton,

It appears that some modalities of therapy dove tail with Ericksonian therapy more easily than others. I know that at least some Ericksonian practioners have combined Gestalt techniques and Ericksonian therapy. I am not sure if this is due to the previous training of those individuals that eventually trained with Erickson or some other factor. I know that Ericksonian therapy is an interpersonal and family therapy model in and of itself. However, I am wondering which type of family therapy training you might recommend that would fit within the Ericksonian envelope from an epistemological and also a technique oriented basis? Also, are you going to start offering training again soon?

John
Old July 3rd, 2006, 03:53 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Family Therapy Training

I have become so busy in Phoenix (clients, teaching at ASU, the American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, teaching at the Foundation Intensives, and traveling to do training) that I don't see offering any training soon. I'm glad someone cares!!

Minuchin's training is a good fit, I think, for family therapy.

Steve
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Family Therapy Training

Hi John,

I have had an interest in brief therapy modalities coming out of Erickson's work for some time. You ask:"which type of family therapy training you (Mr. Lankton) might recommend that would fit within the Ericksonian envelope from an epistemological and also a technique oriented basis?" As this is a forum, I thought I might submit some ideas. Many of the brief therapy gurus credit Erickson as a significant, or seminal influence; among these are Strategic Therapy and Solution Focused approaches.

Michele K. Ritterman, Ph.D. offers family focused training at workshops. her contact information can be found at: http://www.micheleritterman.com/
The Mental Research Institute is offering training; http://www.mri.org/strategicftp.html
The Brief Therapy Center in Milwaukee, WI (Insoo Kim Berg, (The late) Steve deShazer) http://www.brief-therapy.org/
Erickson inspired brief family therapy training is available at major conferences (Evolution of Psychotherapy) The local MHE Institute probably has a list of available family therapy training programs.

Best wishes,

Joe O'Rourke

Last edited by Joseph C. O'Rourke, LCSW; September 15th, 2006 at 09:27 AM..