Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old May 1st, 2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Red vs. blue explained by white birth rate & Darwinian rational

This is going nowhere, and you're getting condescending. Farewell.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:01 PM

Default Religion and morality

Quote:
Personally, I would respect a person's belief in God much, much more if they had an advanced, fleshed out theology that goes with it, and helps them achieve a growth in their own morality, their own expectations of themself.
Personally, I tend to agree with you, although I think religious conservatives would call this "relativism" since it implies morality centered in the individual self rather than a transcendent source.

Todd
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:10 PM

Default congrats

Congratulations, Fred, your brilliant master strategy of unwavering recalcitrance has netted you yet another grand victory in this forum. And you didn't even need me as a stooge this time!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Red vs. blue explained by white birth rate & Darwinian rational

Oh Todd, you’re no stooge . . . and, I suppose that Lizzie did make some amazing points—here’re a few of her better ones:

Quote:
“Despite the credentials listed throughout, [Flew, is/was] not much of a scholar/ thinker/ philosopher.”

“The essential processes of natural selection . . . should be condemned,” [and this Lizzie believe while she also believes that the] “seeds of virtue originate because it is to the genetic advantage [i.e. natural selection] of social groups to ultimately stay coherent and get along.”

“Massachusetts, which gets portrayed as having no morals, has nearly twice the number stable marriages of Texas.”
Yes Todd, I see my recalcitrance—the “stubborn resistance to and defiance of authority or guidance”—and now I feel Maxwell's Silver Hammer coming down upon my head. (Guess I thought that if anyone were recalcitrant, it’d be y’all atheists ignoring the authority/guidance of an ex-atheist of Flew’s stature—silly me.)
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:24 PM

Thumbs up Re: Red vs. blue explained by white birth rate & Darwinian rational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie Pickard
This is going nowhere, and you're getting condescending. Farewell.
Thank You Lizzie, I've been tempted to write something to this effect for a LONG time. But, Fred does have interesting points and adds a lot of info to this site despite how much I disagree with his tactics. I'm glad that you offered Todd a brief rest.

There must be something in the fashion world that I wouldn't have guessed; my wife is also an Atheist and got a Bachelor's in fashion! Whoda guessed!?!?!

You said so many things I agreed with that I have only one to pick on: I believe that it's beyond perilous to assign causes to effects. To illustrate what I mean, I WON'T defend this 'cause' but offer it as an alternative to what you've assigned as a cause (smarter, more successful populations) to the red vs blue federal receipts: perhaps those blue states have the majority of the 'best' places to live (I'd rather be in ANY of the top 10 paying states than ANY of the top 10 takers, and I suspect that you would too), the 'best' places have the highest costs of living, require the highest salaries, and pay the most income tax. These most comfortable places to live also attract the most indigents who vote in Democrats who take from the rich and give to the poor.