Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old November 29th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Default The Whole Mind Insight System

Hi everyone.

I am a counsellor, psychotherapist and hypnotherapist. I have developed a new technique which is explained below.

Have a read and feel free to ask questions.

What is the Whole Mind Insight System (WMIS)?
WMIS is a system which enables the client to externalise their inner thought processes, leading to insight and ultimately making connections between the various parts of our defence system which gives them the answers to the question ‘why’. It will also enable the client to express their emotions both logically and creatively, leading to a healthier balance.
The aim of the WMIS is to give the client the ability to see on paper exactly what is going on in connection with thoughts, how they feel physically and the feelings they experience on a day to day basis.
The system will, as previously stated, enable the client to externalise their inner thought processes. It gives the client and the therapist the ability visually to see underneath the personality which is outwardly displayed to the world, to be able to associate this aspect with the physical and emotional parts of the personality.
Basically in all that we as therapists do, we believe one of the major objectives is to lead our clients into a situation where they are enabled to gain insight and understanding - Why is the question most people want answered but the only one able to answer that question is the person themselves.
Up until now many different methods have been used to give our clients insight but the problem has always been we are only able to do it in small chunks.
We have been unable to show them the whole picture. This system does just that in a simple, easily understandable form. We see it as an opportunity to use several different ideas that have not been put together before giving a completely new approach to therapy and counselling.
In our practices words and the choice of words is very important, but there are times when we have all felt that if only we could just show the client what we mean, a break through could be made.
Using this system the words are there but there will also be the pictures which the client will be encouraged to add. In fact what we have called the "Personality Map" itself becomes a picture of the whole self and you will see that it is true that a picture paints a thousand words.

Background into what lies behind the idea
The original concept came about from a personal need to physically see a representation of my personality on paper, and to see how each facet affected the other. I thought the best way to do that was to use the body- mind defence diagram…. as it showed in layers the order in which our basic defences work.
Originally answers to questions were placed around the circles in the diagram but this was not good enough as it stifled the flow of connected defences.
Previously I had been working on a way to gather information during therapy sessions using mind mapping, but that was all it was …………….. information gathering. I wanted a tool which would give the client insight as well as just a useful information gathering tool. So I tried combining the body-mind defences with mind mapping. As I experimented with this combination I realised that it could pretty much show how every nuance of feeling, behaviour and personality can be linked to each other.
It allowed me to explore my different defences (core, emotional, physical, ego) on paper and to draw links between every layer, it also enabled me to keep adding words and building the personality map outwardly. I found something interesting, as the personality map expanded there became a common theme around the outer words of the personality map. I found this theme to be the cause of all my behaviours and feelings.
I soon realised that this one thing, this one core defence was simply to do with survival. Every single word that I had placed on my personality map linked back to this theme. It made me realise that my whole personality, physical actions and feelings are controlled by what my perception of danger is and therefore perfectly natural. It enabled me to see what I needed to work on to bring this perception of danger more into balance.
I came to the conclusion that if I could do this with clients…it would help them to see themselves as I was able to see myself.
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:12 PM

Default Re: The Whole Mind Insight System

Any one who is interested in learning this new system...please let me know. I am organising 2 or 3 day workshops to teach this to all therapists.

Have a look at the full paper at: http://www.sachinternational.com/library_index.htm then click on "painting a picture of the personality".