Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old December 13th, 2004, 03:43 PM

Question The Future of Art Therapy

I would like to open up a discussion regarding the direction art therapy as a profession is going. I want to invite as many diverse voices contributing to this discussion. It seems that since we appear to be rather underdeveloped as a profession even after the lapse of 60 years. We have undoubtedly grown much stronger since Naumburg invented the practice of art therapy as a profession in this country. We have to admit, however, that much more could have been achieved to develop this profession were we able to band together in a much more cohesive manner. I am not sure what the problem is. I guess this may be related to fact that most of us get in to this profession to help others and money is not our first priority. But not being paid adequately, damages our profession, we loose good people who stop practicing art therapy, we don’t work together in teams like psychologists and social workers have learned to do. Our national organization will suffer and is not able to lobby as hard for our concerns on a national level, and we enter a cycle that repeats itself, keeping our profession in relative obscurity and poverty. If we know by intution and experience that art therapy is a unique and effective way of achieving psychological balance and health, we owe it to ourselves to work together to change things for ourselves and our profession. I am open to your voices and like to work with you.
Hoda Mazloomian
847- 331-8052
hmazloomian@hotmail.com

Last edited by hmazloomian; December 17th, 2004 at 02:55 PM..
Old December 15th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Forum Leader

Post Re: The Future of Art Therapy

The future of art therapy, at least its near future, in the hands of art therapy educators, since the next graduating classes will practice what they have been taught in their respective graduate schools. An article of mine that just appeared in the Journal of Pedagogy, Pluralism and Practice deals with this question. This special issue of JPPP on art-based research was edited by Shaun McNiff and Phillip Speiser. It might be a good starting point for this discussion.
If you'd like to read it, click on the link below.
http://www.lesley.edu/journals/jppp/9/perdoux.html
Old December 15th, 2004, 09:48 PM

Thumbs up Re: The Future of Art Therapy

Martin , I am so glad you shared this article with me. I will promise to read it and get backto you with my thoughts as soon as possible. Regards, Hoda
Old December 17th, 2004, 02:53 PM

Martin, I read your article! Wow! I had always seen you as “the quiet continental gentleman” but this article showed me a part of you that was hitherto hidden from my view. You are very brave to share your pain in this public way. I admire it. I also was empathizing with your pain of being rejected for having a different point of view from the majority, who won’t listen. I almost did not make it though my art therapy course because many wished my voice, standing up for the rights of minorities, to be silenced. I think we can not afford the silence we need to speak out and in doing so we will enhance the diversity of our profession. I can write a lot in response but to be honest I rather meet and talk in person. If you are interested we can do it over coffee somewhere. I believe we are two people who for a variety of personal life experiences are outsiders and therefore can see outside the box. I though we can for example write an article together on the way art and writing intersect and move towards each other and away from one another in the expressive arts. I think there are many others who want different voices to be heard in our profession. If you are willing contact me and we will work together. 847-331-8052

Regards, Hoda
Old December 17th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Forum Leader

Cool Re: The Future of Art Therapy

Thanks Hoda,
I am still a continental gentleman.
Martin
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:33 PM

Yes you are! I just got to know more about you through your writing. I hope you did not misunderstand me. It is hard to communicate with e mail there is no tone of voice, no facial expressions so it is easy to read it differently. Since I saw no response to the other ideas I had put forward my current understanding is that this is not something you want to peruse at this time. If I am wrong you can correct me. Other wise I respect your unspoken choice. In any case the whole notion of relationship between words and images in art and therapy is a very interesting one and I may research and write about it myself. I think it may be helpful in the dialogue we have started. Best wishes Hoda