Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old August 23rd, 2005, 03:13 PM

Default The Elevator Question

Okay, so you get on an elevator at the lobby level of a very tall building and press the button for the top floor. A woman gets on from the second floor and asks, "What do you?" You reply, "I'm an Eriksonian therapist." She asks, "What is Eriksonian therapy?" You have about 90 seconds to explain before the elevator gets to the top floor. Go!
Old August 25th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: The Elevator Question

You say, “I am a psychotherapist. My approach, taken from the work of Dr. Milton Erickson, emphasizes each person's individual strengths and uses what he or she knows and has learned to create a unique "therapy" for that person. Unlike most approaches, it is health-oriented and not pathology-oriented.”

We have 80 more seconds, does she have another question?
Old August 25th, 2005, 01:56 PM

Well, you were a sport, so I'll bite:
"What do you mean, health-oriented? I wouldn't be seeing you unless I had a problem, right?"
Old August 26th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Forum Leader

"People have problems when they can't find the experiences and resources they need to handle them. A health-oriented approach hunts for those needed experiences and resources. And, generally, we find want we go about looking for."
We have at least 60 seconds remaining.
Old August 26th, 2005, 09:52 AM

"I guess I don't see how that's different from pathology-oriented approaches. When I was depressed last year, I went to a CBT therapist, and we worked together to find new ways of thinking and acting that made me feel better. Isn't that looking for experiences and resources too?"
Old August 27th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Forum Leader

"I don't consider CBT to be pathology-oriented. New ways of thinking and acting are definitely health-oriented. I hope your therapist also helped you, beyond changing undesireable self-talk, to identify visual images that you might be re-experiencing (even pre- or unconscously)...especially since you said " 'looking' for experiences and resources"! A person ought to be able to re-see, so to speak, previously 'traumatic' events and not have any undesirable feeling experiences. That goal, identifying and challenging visual imagery, is, unfortunately, not directly addressed in CBT as far as I know."

Oh my gosh, onlyl about 35 seconds remaining!
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Lankton
That goal, identifying and challenging visual imagery, is, unfortunately, not directly addressed in CBT as far as I know."

Aside: Actually, it's addressed in Cognitive Therapy (Chapter 13 of "Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond", Beck, provides a good summary) and in REBT (Chapter 6 of "Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy", Ellis and MacLaren). In addition, Lazarus has written extensively on the topic, though his Multimodal Therapy is arguably not in the mainstream of CBT.

"How do you get at unconscious events?"
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Forum Leader

Yes, I know Arnold Lazarus dealt with it and I love his work. I am glad to hear that it made mainstream CBT finally. Thanks to telling me.