Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old August 29th, 2005, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Depression Discussion

Thanks Brian,

I am aware here that the moment I look at 'me not me' that a split has taken effect.

I feel that emphasis is put on the individual in Buddism, as in suffering is related to one's craving or avertion. The field may still present phenomena that one might have craving or avertion to yet releasing oneself from these ways of being, will end suffering. This is very much a co-created field were the senses make contact with the field and how the sensory information is filtered will determine how the field meets us or we meet the field.

I guess what I was questioning in my last post was if reality is subjective then is depression just the responsibility of the owner of that phenomena. Well no if we aknowledge that physiological phenomena can be fixed by forces not always within the contol of merely changing one's subjective reality.

One individual might rise above a sub-field of being in a detention centre another might become depressed, citing the detention as a direct cause. But again the field would be split, by your definition, depression would be the 'in-between' of detainee and detention centre and so on.

Then I come back to what I was curious of in my previous post. Gestalt seems to argue for example that growth occures through contact or meeting. This to me hints at there being universal themes to human experience such as growth through contact. What if ideas such as love, exceptance, I-Thou are deep down universal, could it then be said that those sub-fields like detention centres will severly threaten homeostasis and potentially be measurable in affecting mental health or at least generate identifiable themes across a group. I imagine the enlightened soul may remain balanced in detention but for the rest of us degee's of damage may be inflicted by those sub-fields that lack overall framework's that promote ways of being that sustain us to be healthy and grow.

Brendan
Old September 19th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Hi I am new here I am looking to get some help to avoid paying a councelor I am a very depressed mom of 2 and my husband constantly tells me that I have no reason to be depressed.. This is the situation: my husband is bi I feel that is fine but he never discusses stuff with me as far as him going to meet someone off the internet the bills you know the things married couple should do then he treats me like a kid and his slave... It hurts me and the last time he went off to meet a gay guy he never used protection, now I don't mind him meeting and doing his thing but I do not want him to give me any std's or my kids what should I do...
Old September 19th, 2005, 08:42 PM

Red face Re: Depression Discussion

Hi,

I am a counsellor but I feel you may be better served to log on to web site's such as www.depressionet.com.au or www.beyondblue.org.au if you are looking for information on depression, as this forum is I think not ideally suited to what your needs may be. Further if finances are a problem in seeking a counsellor maybe there is government funded counselling in your area that you could look into, that may have redeuced cost or be free? In my experience seeking some one you can see face to face is far more benificial in supporting a clients unique needs. On the STD issue, seek out information on how to protect your self on www.cdc.gov/nchstp/dstd/diease_info.htm or your local community health centre. Good luck in gettting the support you need, sounds really important to get assisstance now!

Brendan
Old September 24th, 2005, 01:33 PM

I was curious...has this discussion concluded or can either of you give examples of work with clients who are or have brought depression into the therapuetic work?
Old October 6th, 2005, 03:26 AM

Red face Re: Depression Discussion

I am happy to continue the discussion. Because of confidentiality I feel there are a few problems in discusing case work. How about you outline areas you are looking for insight and maybe I could give my example of how to work from the Gestalt approach. An area of interest for me is looking at the clients process as a contium that can be punctuated by depressive moments and also moments of joy or peace for example. This then asks the question of where is the mood of depression when there is joy and vise versa. Contrasting different states of being develops I feel the work of tracking awareness and noticing what various themes emerge in ones contacting style with both themselves and with thier environment. Are there moments when one might push joy into the ground as it is a fixed way to keep depression figure and is there a contiual emergance of depression as a figure as there remains unfinished business that needs attention? Are there enviromnmental elements that are excluded as they have been dulled into being so mundane they are missed, that contribute to a depressive mood and how might one work to render the invisable elements visable and thus deepen awareness?
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:19 AM

Depression affects people in many different ways. From a personal note it affects my sleep patterns and makes the smallest things irritate me. I have even been sick in the morning after spending the night worrying about my present situation.
Most of the time I am not so much depressed at what is happening now but am fearing what might happen in the future. This fear may be about financial matters, a social occasion, health or about my family.
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:22 AM

Depression is one type of body illness and that involve body and that thoughts. In depression you may have problem with concentration and decision making. You can feel very sad and there is no reason at all.
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:13 PM

I know this section is about tourism but its quite dead at the moment so lets have a little discussion. I'm sure we all remember my topic on child abuse about a week or two ago which really had me thinking. I've never really expected that sort of stuff to happen to such a young child.
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:00 AM

Depression is not a disease, which you can leave basic no amount what is the acuteness of abasement it needs treatment. As abasement is a alternate illness, it is appropriate that acknowledged concise analysis be affiliated with ongoing, aliment therapy.
Old December 6th, 2010, 03:39 AM

Thumbs up Re: Depression Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Toohey View Post
I had initially attempted to get information on Depression the cheats way maybe, and thought I might get a better return if I put some thoughts out to be commented on by the various Gestalt people that frequent this page.

In writting an essay on what Gestalt has to offer in working with individuals with Depression I have quickly recognised that Gestalt therapy has many developed theories and principles that places this approach in very good stead for working with the key themes that are identified in the area of Depression.

I have in particular identified figure/ground formation becoming potentially fixed and the individual being unable to discriminate between a fantasised perception of self and phenomena in the present that differs from the fixed figure ie "I am hopeless at everthing". This seems to then lead to boundary disturbances such as sensory numbing and a introjected sence of being inherently flawed.
Also being able to work with a fixed label it's self (Depression) and work phenoneologically with each individuals unique experience to emphasis the persons ownership or choice with the illness rather than Depression being a fixed way of being that is un-changeable.

I could say more but thought I would put out some of my peceptions to stimulate others to offer their perspective on where Gestalt seems to merge with the themes within Depression, or for that matter does not!

Brendan Toohey
I have tried different types of antidepressants and Prozac is number 1 in my book. I love it! I have been on it for almost 2 years and my depression is very minimal. It makes me sleep good at night and I feel good all day long! I am on 40mg of it and its awesome! I would recommend this to anyone that has depression and anixety and OCD.
For more information visit here: cheap prozac