Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old August 16th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Ending EMDR before completion

Care to share the NC and PC?
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM

Yes Sandra,
The NC and the PC: the NC's were that "I am defective...I am not acknowedged" the PC was "I am able to express my emotions, ".

Your question has me thinking back and recalling that initially the PC was "I am safe with my mother" which is really not a valid PC. Then it changed to "I am safe. While it was further changed at my prodding to a PC about HER rather than the client's circumstance, I find myself wondering if it REALLY changed in my client's mind. When I was checking the PC, I was looking at my notes of course, and I think I initially inadvertantly reminded the client of the second one, noting it had changed, and then asking re the final one. Hmm. The client's mother is mentally disturbed and has definite paranoia.

ON the other hand, I rechecked this at the opening of the next session and the SUD was now a zero and the VOC a 1.
The client declined working further with it. Any suggestions/comments? Thanks.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:21 PM
Forum Leader

A good PC has to be possible. Whenever a client says, "I'm safe" as a PC we have to assess if it is possible to be safe in the circumstance. Often it has to be modified to be reasonable, so "I can keep myself safe," or "I'm learning to be safe," or other qualified ones are appropriate if a client's situation really isn't safe. EMDR won't take anyone to a place that is ecologically invalid.

Sometimes people have to choose between an unsafe family contact and cutting ties. Sometimes people limit the contact with an unsafe family member. With anyone with a VOC-1 I'd explore all these types of things to see what the real goal should be of the work. Certainly its not to feel safe with an unsafe person.

As to "I'm defective" and "I'm not acknowledge" as NC and "I can express my feelings" as PC, I have some comments.

1. When there are two NC's I'd ask which of the two themseves, namely defectiveness and invisibility, have more of a charge on it. Have the client pick one, so the laser is pointed at only one cogitive "tumor."

2. Are the NC and PC parallel? Here they are not. Working backwards from the PC, it sounds like the pair might be NC: I shouldn't having feelings and needs, and the PC: Its okay to have feelings and needs. Just a hunch.

When the NC and PC pairs are aligned, parallel, and the PC is possible and ecologically valid, the results are far better in the EMDR.

Keep us posted, thanks --Sandra
Old September 6th, 2005, 04:37 AM

Hi Piper,

There are many ego psychology techniques that you can learn about for free on the web, that you can use to help you with grounding and stabilization - both ZPoint Process and EFT can be self-taught.

I would not suggest that you use them to do trauma processing right now - or work on any trauma processing. What you might want to do is use these or other grounding techniques that feel right to you, to work on strengthening feelings of peace and letting the different parts of you know that they are safe in the present day and that they are not alone (they have you, they have each other, and if you have any good 3D supports they have those too).

Remember to breathe and even think positive affirmations to yourself and for them (you can strengthen these with energy work too), and talk to them the way that you would to anyone else who was feeling sad, scared or alone.

Sometimes things get stirred up. Slowing down actually can help healing to then go faster. Working NOT on trauma but rather on creating feelings of greater peace and stability in the present day will bring you much further right now than trying to process trauma through any methods.

If you are looking for low cost therapy options, rape crisis centres or especially hospital based sexual assault and/or domestic violence programs are often good places to look for specialized treatment, providing you meet their criteria for being eligible for service.

Hang in there & take gentle care,

Carol Ann
Old September 6th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Forum Leader

Hi Carol Ann, your posts are on point and welcome as always. Just a reminder to you and any therapists posting here that we serve best when we word our posts as general comments, not tailored to a particular person. That's because we haven't done an assessment that would enable us to be sure that what we are recommending is the right thing for a particular person.

Its less of an issue when a person is recommending caution of course, compared to recommending a particular action.

Anyway, thanks and let's keep the comments general.

Warmly, --Sandra
Old September 6th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Thanks Sandra - point well taken.

I meant to say that if current emotional stability is an issue, I would generally suggest staying away from targetting trauma directly. This may or may not fit for the situation described above.

Carol Ann