Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old December 8th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Forum Leader

Arrow Fred Hussey's Hello

Fred Hussey died in September 2009. He was into physics, his faith, and his debates with atheists and agnostics. Many of us still miss him. By way of his wife, Shelley, he sent me a letter that arrived yesterday. JB
----
Jim—

I’m still suffering from writer’s block, so am glad that Fred wrote the Christmas letter this year. Best in 2011.

Shelley.

Heaven Sent-iments
Christmas, 2010

“…How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God; this is the gate of heaven.” Genesis 2:17

Shel-

Things are amazing here. The book really doesn’t do the place justice. I’ve suggested they make a movie, but they’re waiting for Clint Eastwood to die so he can direct.

As you would expect, I’m doing well—having a perfect body and perfect mind makes things much easier to deal with. Been great reuniting with all the relatives. And I know this must be heaven, ‘cause none of them are annoying me. Everyone was surprised to see me (I wasn’t sure how to take that), with the exception of the Divine Dynamic Duo. All that omniscience and foreknowledge stuff. To paraphrase scripture: they know when you’ve been sleeping, they know when you’re awake, they know when you’re awake, they know when you’ve been bad or good, so be good for goodness’ sake.

So you ask—what have I been doing with my time? I do a lot of entertaining in my mansion, which has a fabulous view. Last week I had Ben Franklin and Elvis over at the same time, just to mix things up. Next week I’ve penciled in Isaac Newton and Mother Theresa—who is no longer a midget, by the way.

Now to you. Word on the street paved with gold is that you’ve had a somewhat tough first year being without the FDog, but that you are now fully engaged and enjoying life. I could not be happier. I remind you of what I wrote in my note: “All things work together for good, to those who love God and are called according to His purpose.” I was also happy to hear that James has a promising future in motion graphics and that MB continues to kick a__ (we don’t say “ass” in heaven) with her cello, and has a boyfriend who treats her like a princess. It’s all good…

And a little cherubim told me about the dog. Here’s what I know: her name’s Lucy, she’s brought you great joy, she sleeps on my side of the bed, she chants when she has to go out and poop, she jumps on people, and she humps your leg. That’s not all good…

Well darlin’ I need to sign off—the Herald Angels are getting ready to perform, and I have a solo. (Yeah I can sing now.)

So Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Shel. Give my love to the kids, and possibly the dog. I’ll have to think about that one.

Your favorite hound of heaven,

FDog aka Fred
Old December 10th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Forum Leader

Arrow A Balloon for Mommy

Friendly’s has been a second home for 35 years. My ten-year-old son introduced me to Fribbles and fried clams during our “visitations” that went on until he was eighteen and off to college. At sixteen, he ran the grill at Friendly’s #3 in Westfield and for two summers at a second one near my home in Pennsylvania.

He’s forty this year but I still go to Friendly’s for salads and fried clams even though it’s without him.

I always have plenty of time to eavesdrop because Friendly’s has kept the wait between getting your table, placing your order, and getting your coffee.

Last night, there was a young couple across the aisle.

He was the type that women love… tall, about thirty, and wearing tattoos high on his neck, crew cut black hair, baggy camo pants, and sunglasses mounted on the back of his neck. He also had greenish eyes and a day’s fresh growth of beard, a generous smile, and an engaging manner with his date.

The girl and he talked with great animation about menu items, what to buy for Christmas, and how they would spend the rest of their evening. They even fidgeted in synchrony. They also discussed her homework and chores for their return home after dinner. The little doll was about eleven.

His tattoos and manner suggested “divorced dad and paternal visit.”

I was wrong.

She asked what they would send to Mommy up in the sky for Christmas.

Dad suggested a big balloon, one carrying a flower, and addressed to Mommy, one they would take out Christmas Eve and let it float upwards to heaven….
Old December 10th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Forum Leader

Lightbulb An Emergent God

Fred and Todd used to debate theology and science. I stayed out of it because 1) their debates were so good, and 2) I’m an agnostic, a genuine one who genuinely reveres “maybe” in both science and my clinical work. I seek “big” answers but never trust this week’s insight.

Fred’s most recent letter triggered a shift in my thoughts.

I recently spent four or five years writing Rebellion and describing emergent processes in human conduct. That is, the patterns that we can observe in power laws, phase transitions, and oscillators also describe what we see in love and hatred, partnerships and war, and even our determination to live or to die. Yes, even suicide has its roots in connectivity or the lack of it!

It struck me – duh! – that the principles that are described in particle physics must also apply at a galactic level. Matter emerges from nothing, big things start as small things and through combination and recombination, expansion and collapse, growth appears.

Just “maybe” God is an emergent being, one that thinks, plans, and creates by processes identical to but more powerful than what we see in individual minds and nations.

Merry Christmas!
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:37 PM

Thumbs up Re: Fred Hussey's Hello

I like your emergent deity, pretty cool.
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Forum Leader

Arrow Re: Fred Hussey's Hello

Emergent Deity also allows for the possibility of emergent "sub deities" ... all consistent with network theory and our Bibles. "Vger" once came back as a network sub deity... we sent out a seed and it collected whatever it found useful....

Good to hear from you...

Tags
christmas, hussey, religion