Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old November 3rd, 2004, 01:14 PM

Question Erickson's Impact on Brief Therapy

Hi Stephen,

We have been receiving ongoing training/supervision on Strategic Therapy here at Walter Reed over the last two years. Dr. Erickson has been frequently mentioned and some interest has been generated in his approach. As a result, I have been tasked with providing a three hour in-service. I feel a bit like Brer Rabbit, being asked to present on Erickson.

I am interested in the statement you made in your article, Milton Erickson's Contribution To Therapy Epistemology - not Technology, that "years ago, I heard Dr. Dan Goleman, editor of Psychology Today magazine state that Dr. Erickson had made a contribution to psychology parallel to Freud's. Where Freud had made his contribution in terms of theory, Erickson had made an equal impact in terms of intervention." This mirrors my experience as I became interested in Dr. Erickson's work after discovering his impact and influence on many of the brief therapy approaches.

Is there any way that I can find a direct citation for Dr. Golman's remark? I would like to use it in my presentation. Of course, it is my intention to credit any/all sources of information I use. Any help/direction you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Your comment on the other thread about formal trance being used in about 20% of your clinical work is consistent with comments that I heard elsewhere from Betty Alice Erickson (WVU Annual Hypnosis Conference) and Hal Wain (Washington Society of Clinical Hypnosis Seminar) within the last two weeks. My presentation will focus on Erickson's approach and contribution to psychotherapy, in general. As I am presently working on an Inpatient Psychiatric Ward, I will focus a bit on his work at Eloise State Hospital.

Thanks for the work that you do on the Forum and the Erickson Foundation's website.

Best wishes,

Joe O'Rourke
Old November 4th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Erickson's Impact on Brief Therapy

Joseph,
Thanks for the 'thanks' but I only take care of the Listsever and do this Forum with Jeff - I built the Foundation's web site years ago and then turned it over to Jeanine Elder. It is she who deserves the praise for it's upkeep.

As for Dan Goleman's comment...I thought it was from "Secrets of a Modern Mesmer" by Daniel Goleman in PSYCHOLOGY TODAY, July 1977...but I just re-read it and it's not there. Then I re-read the Network's issue on the Erickson Legacy...I didn't see it there, there was nothing by Doleman in it and no one quoted him. It did spark a memory however, I think the statement was made in Psychology Today (but I have no other issues to consider) just after Erickson's death.

So, I'm not much help on this at this point. I wonder if you can email him and ask? Here is his email address: daniel.goleman@verizon.net (tell him I said 'hello').
Old November 6th, 2004, 12:32 PM

Thumbs up Re: Erickson's Impact on Brief Therapy

Stephen,

Thank you! I emailed Dr. Golman and await his response.

Best wishes,

Joe O'Rourke
Old November 7th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Forum Leader

Joe,
Please let us know what you hear from Dr. Goleman.
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:50 PM

Stephen,

Thanks for your help. When/if I hear from Dr. Goleman I will let you know.

Thanks,

Joe O'Rourke
Old November 10th, 2004, 11:12 PM

Question Re: Erickson's Impact on Brief Therapy

Stephen,

I just reread your post and realized that I missed the "Network's issue on the Erickson Legacy." Is this the Old Family Networker?

I searched the ASCH Database and HighBeam and could not find a citation.

Thanks,

Joe O'Rourke
Old November 11th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Forum Leader

Yes, that is the Family Therapy Networker's old name for their monthly magazine/jjournal. The date on that is: Sept-Oct 1983, Vol 7, Num 5.
Old November 12th, 2004, 07:35 PM

Thanks again Stephen.

Today, I ordered a copy of the "Sept-Oct 1983, Vol 7, Num 5." issue and a copy of the first issue after they went to the larger format (early 1980s) with Erickson's picture on the front cover.

Joe
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:10 PM

Post Re: Erickson's Impact on Brief Therapy

Stephen,

I found your mention of the Network’s issue on the Erickson Legacy stimulated my interest and I was able to get the Jan-Feb 1982 and the Sept-Oct 1983 issues of the Family Therapy Networker. They just arrived in the mail and I will spend some time later this evening perusing them.

I also received a reply from Dr. Goleman today, stating that he did not remember making the comment about Erickson's contribution. At this point, I will just not use it.

Thanks,

Joe O'Rourke
Old November 16th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Forum Leader

Well phoey on Dr. Goleman. He did make it and I have it around her somewhere I will look more when I have some time.
If there is any 'in' to reply, you might remind him that it pertained to a comment after his death that sort of honored him and it was in an article, possible in psych today. See if that jogs his memory.
(and it was that erickson's contribution to the practise of therapy was possibly as important as freud's contribution to the original theory.)

Last edited by Stephen Lankton; November 18th, 2004 at 01:36 PM..