Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old May 6th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Default Spielberg's A. I.

We subscribe to Netflix as an alternative to the 200 plus channels of non-stop TV idiocy (with a few gems) typically found on cable or satellite. I call it watching TV on purpose. One advantage is that we can easily browse through the online catalog and find films we never would have considered watching otherwise - both because the descriptions on cable/satellite don't tell you much and because you have to spend a lot of time searching for the gems - whose appearance in the lineup are subject to their schedule rather than mine.

But, that's how I came to slide the DVD for the 2001 film A.I. Artificial Intelligence into the player last nite after dinner. From the jacket:
Quote:
The director, Steven Spielberg, propels you into a futuristic world where humans share every aspect of their lives with sophisticated companion robots called Meches. When an advanced prototype robot child named David is programmed to show unconditional love, his human family isn't prepared for the consequences. David soon embarks on a spectacular quest to discover the startling secret of his own identity.
While the 2 hr 25 min film slowed down precipitously toward the end it was generally filled with interesting ideas and the usual layers of metaphors found in this genre (cerebral scifi?). Like Kubrik's 2001, I found myself a bit overwhelmed and ready for bed by the time it finally ended. Still, there were many interesting connections to EP and some of the topics under discussion here. Anyone else seen it?

Margaret