Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old September 11th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: In-Roads to Online Therapy

I'm stopping by to say hello from the Psychology of Cyberspace forum, since the issues here in this forum have often come up in mine. There's quite a bit of debate about the pros and cons of online clinical work, and I think that's the best way to think about it: there are pros and cons. For those who might be interested, here's a section of my online book that explores some of these issues:

http://www.rider.edu/~suler/psycyber/therintro.html

In particular, the discussion in this thread reminds me of an article written by our Clinical Case Study Group at ISMHO (ismho.org). There are some important "myths and realities" of online clinical work that we need to explore further:

http://www.rider.edu/~suler/psycyber/myths.html
Old September 19th, 2004, 09:06 PM

This is in response to the person seeking info about nursing and stress.

Dr. Esther Greenglass, a professor at York University in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, has done some research in this area. You may want to find some of her studies; a few of her publications are as follows:

Greenglass, E. (with R. J. Burke). (2000). Hospital restructuring and nursing staff well-being: The role of coping. International Journal of Stress, 7, 49-59.

Greenglass, E., & Burke, R. J. (2000). The relationship between hospital restructuring, anger, hostility and psychosomatics in nurses. Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology. 10, 155-161.

Greenglass, E. (with R. J. Burke). (2000). Effects of hospital restructuring on full time and part time nursing staff in Ontario. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 37, 163-171.

Greenglass, E. & Burke, R. J. (2000). Hospital downsizing, individual resources, and occupational stressors in nurses. Anxiety, Stress and Coping, 13, 371-390.

Hope that helps.
Old June 26th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Default Online Counseling Superior in Some Circumstances

Greetings all,

First, the proposition that online counseling or e-therapy is detrimental to the fields of couseling or psychology is preposterous.

Second, online counseling or e-therapy are not inferior to the more traditional offline counterparts. There is no empirical data supporting such a contention. The two are certainly different. However, difference is not automatically inferior.

Third, for some clients and in some circumstances, online counseling or e-therapy are acually superior. This is certainly the case for many clients who suffer from addictive disorders such as substance abuse, problem gambling, and/or compulsive sexual behaviors. The anonymity and disinhibition that accompany online counseling make it far easier to attract and help many people whose fear of stigma keep them from availing themselves of traditional offline alternatives.

Fourth, cognitive behavioral therapies such as the Transtheoretical Model of stage-based behavioral change, Motivational Interviewing, and Relapse Prevention lend themselves quite well to online use.

Fifth, I suspect that those who earned their livings raising and selling horses for transportation were similarly dismissive of automoblles.
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:11 PM

I have also enjoyed reading the posts on this thread. While I do not have decades of experience in the counseling profession I do realize that society as a whole is constantly in a state of change. One of the changes that I have been observing with interest is the change in desire to be around other people all of the time. More and more shopping, education, and communication takes place "on-line" each year. It is likely that this trend will continue throughout the remainder of my counseling career. Because of this trend I feel it is important to include "on-line" counseling/therapy as an available vehicle for many prospective clients out in cyberland. I feel we, as therapists/counselors would be remiss if we just ignored this population. My two cents worth!
Old January 19th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Smile Re: In-Roads to Online Therapy

Hi My name is Norma.
I have found your discussion on online therapy to be fascinating. I wanted to know if anyone felt that online therapy would be useful for clients who are interverts and who maybe intimidated by face to face meetings. I was also wondering about people who travel for work. If a person is traveling, could online therapy be beneficial in the short term so they can access some support untill they are home long enough to connect with a therapist? It may also be helpful for people struggling with Addictions.

Finally, there seems to be a trend with EAP companies hiring telephone counsellors so what is the difference between telephone and online counselling?

Thanks and have a good day
Norma
Old December 4th, 2009, 05:35 PM

Default In Roads to Online Therapy

Hey, my son is looking for any free transformer 2 online games.
Anyone know of any? i cant seem to find one...