Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old July 1st, 2004, 08:12 AM

Default Welcome to the Forum

Welcome to the BOL Forum on Gestalt Therapy

Welcome to the Behavior OnLine Forum on Gestalt Therapy! This Forum provides an opportunity to discuss a wide range of topics on the theory and practice of gestalt therapy. A particular emphasis of mine is the application of the gestalt approach within public mental health and the integration and dialogue between gestalt therapy and other therapeutic approaches. However my job here is to facilitate and stimulate discussion on gestalt therapy across as wide an area as you decide - and as gestaltists know, the Field can stretch a long, long way.

This forum is open to all who have an interest in gestalt therapy, from experienced international trainers and authors, to the tentatively inquiring students who might ask "Ah... just what is gestalt therapy anyway?"

I personally hope this forum can be of use in opening gestalt therapy to a wider audience of mental health and behavioural science practitioners and in the process invigorate and challenge the more experienced gestaltists who visit here.

I am glad you found your way here and I look forward to our discussion. I would suggest you please start a new thread rather than simply replying to this message.

Brian O'Neill

FORUM POLICIES

The forums on BOL are not moderated. That means users can post messages directly to any forum without any "human" review. Accordingly, users will be held directly and solely responsible for the content of messages that are posted.

Forum leaders, while not moderating the forums, will periodically perform an administrative review for the purpose of deleting messages that are old, have received few responses, are off topic or irrelevant, serve as advertisements or seem otherwise inappropriate. Leaders have full discretion to delete messages. Questions about the Forum Policies should be directed to the appropriate forum leader.

=================

Forum History

For a complete record of postings to this forum prior to today visit the Gestalt Forum Archive. Please note that the archive contains only previously posted messages. If you wish to add to the forum you may do so by clicking on the "Post" or "Reply" buttons in this forum.

=================
Old September 27th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Welcome to the Forum

I am currently a junior in the bshs program and have been researching information on a midterm how to foster client participation with a client wwho dos not really want help. giving real wourld situations.
I was leaning toward drug additctions and while searching I found this site and was just so amazed I signed up and was woundering if any one could give some input that I may review for the report and use as a resource.

Does any one have any sugestions fo the intake, assessment and goal setting stage of the interivew with this type of client?
Old October 9th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Hi Angela and welcome

The answer to your question probably requires more a thesis lenght answer to do it justice yet in brief there is a lovely cross over between Motivatonal Interviewing and the work done in Drug and Alcohol on Stages of Change Model, and the way Gestalt therapists attend to the dialogue between them and the people they work with, and the use of Erv and Miriam Polsters process map, entitled the Contact Episode.

I think there was a bit of this written about in the archives here if you want to search and also go to the free ejournal at Gestalt Global listed here.

Brian
Old October 26th, 2006, 06:04 PM

Hi, I'm Antonio, I'm an italian Gestalt student. I'm very glad to speak in this forum. I'm coming form Sardinia when I'm learning the Psycosocial Gestalt Therapy method. Here, we have to spendt 4 years in a hard training to become a Psycotherapist. I would be very happy if I can speak with someone GT about the method and technique. I'm a Psycologist and I'm a co-operator in some mental-health center here in Sardinia where I can put in practice gestalt method with some kind of patience.
So, I have a question: How is seen by patience of your countries the work in gestalt therapy? I think that is not a stupid question. Here, I live in a island (I donna if you Know where is sardinia....), there are a lot of negative stereotips about psycology and psycoterapist. Here if somone has got a psychic problem is probable that this patience goes to a psychiatrist for a farmacological therapy and not for a psycological therapy. What do you think about this situation? It's common in USA or in other places.
Thanks, and excuse me about my english language. I know only a bit of it.
Old November 10th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Greetings, one and all.
I am Dan Bloom, buddy of Brian O and Phil B.
New York is my hub, and the New York Institute for Gestalt Therapy my home community.
I edit a new journal and urge you all to take a look: www.studies-in-gestalt.org.
We are hard at work on our second issue.
Old September 17th, 2010, 04:52 PM

Default Happy to have found you

Greetings, and thank you for providing this resource on Gestalt Therapy. I am a second-year Master's level Marriage and Family Counseling student at Montana State University and was immediately drawn to Gestalt Therapy as my theoretical orientation. Having made it through Practicum and currently in my first semester of internship, I am at the point where I am ready to dive in and begin practicing, conceptualizing, and planning from a Gestalt perspective. I have read Excitement and Growth, and am currently reading Brownell's new Geslalt Therapy book, and recently purchased a number of books from Polster, Mann, and others, and am wondering where is the best place to start?

I appreciate this forum already and look forward to learning from and with all of you!

Marise