Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old November 7th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Default In need of some advice...

Good day, members of this forum. I am a new member, as of several minutes ago, having just discovered the site and found myself (an aspiring graduate student) interested in the subject matter, and then decided to ask a question of the people here... I am uncertain of the answer, I am embarrassed to admit.

I am trying to find the words to define a behavior I see someone I have known for a significant period of time undertaking - she is the parent of a (significantly) disabled child, and for most of her life has been 'taken care of' / 'enabled' by the people around her. She is now over fourty, and still is refusing to take care of herself.

Is there a (specific) term for such behavior, and if so, what is it, and can anyone here suggest any research I might do to further my understanding of the woman's actions?

The thanks of a new member.
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM

Post Re: In need of some advice...

It isn't clear to me if you are a graduate student in training to become a therapist and if so, when you say you "see" this woman do you mean in therapy? If so, your clinical supervisor could help you arrive at a diagnosis. But no therapist should diagnose someone in absentia i.e.without seeing them face to face in a clinical setting.
If you are not in training, you can certainly get opinions from advice columnists on other people's behaviors and how you should respond but I don't see this as that kind of forum.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:14 PM

Default Re: In need of some advice...

you have to understand the behavior of that woman, and im sure you can discover why is she acting like that.
Old August 13th, 2010, 04:39 AM

Default In need of some advice... NEED TO DISSOLVE EGO AND BECOME HUMBLE

I am easily offended. I am at the mercy of my ego. how do i dissolve the EGO beleifs fast?which affirmations works?