Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old November 2nd, 2007, 02:17 PM

Default clinical uses for amnesia

I have heard varying opinions about using amnesia therapeutically. I've noticed in Erickson's transcripts that he seems to use it a lot. The reason I've heard/read thus far for using the technique is to keep the conscious mind from interfering with and perhaps even undoing work that has been done in trance.
On the other hand, I've heard that research in the last few decades has shown that a learning really needs to also be worked through at the conscious level in order to produce generalizable change in the client's life. So it would seem that producing an amnesia for the therapeutic work would be antithetical to that.
When to use it and when not?
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: clinical uses for amnesia

As you have no doubt read, one uses amnesia when the interference of the conscious mind would interfere with needed changes. This circumstance can occur in a number of situations. For example, when aspects of the change are inconsistent with clients value system (and where other aspects of the necessary change are not); can also happen due to social factors such as a situation in which the social reinforcers could retrieve your or otherwise prompt undesirable when if a client were to choose to ak about it; and another popular reason includes helping the client to break the habit of attending and being distracted by a concern (especially one that has been changed by therapy). Of course these are the only reasons and both a complete list of ideas would be long enough to writ list of ideas would be long enough to write a book about. As for your idea that the conscious mind needs to be present to "work through" learning - it would be impossible to apply that idea to the cirumstances where the LEARNING is to not notice/pay attention to something.