Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old December 18th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: I want to find professional colleagues

Now I recall why I avoid reading Neeson!

JB
Old December 18th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: More Help for Tatiana

Tatiana:

I noticed a new book by Martin Nowak that should be relevant if you want equations...

I have two chapters that are nearly complete and may be pertinent. Send me an email and I will forward them.

Again, your best resources may well be through the HBES web site or by contacting established authors on these topics. Rapaport, Axelrod should be easy to approach.

JB
Old December 19th, 2006, 07:37 AM

Default Dear colleagues!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H.
Well, we’re all dying.

I think Tatiana was actually referring to George Neeson’s remark regarding the “anti-theistic bias in the biological sciences [that] is not found in the true sciences,” and not to my endorsement of his insight.

Hope George sticks around—a little less anti-theistic bias around here might provide a little more balance, don’t you think?
Dear colleagues, James and Fred!

Yes, that's right. I was referring to G. Neeson's message. I was surprised his answer... I can't understand, what did he want to tell me in his own answer?.. "anti-theistic bias"... "educational system"... It's of no interest for me, because I'm interested in empirical researches.

Sincerely, Tanya
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Default Re: More Help for Tatiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brody
Tatiana:

I noticed a new book by Martin Nowak that should be relevant if you want equations...

I have two chapters that are nearly complete and may be pertinent. Send me an email and I will forward them.

Again, your best resources may well be through the HBES web site or by contacting established authors on these topics. Rapaport, Axelrod should be easy to approach.

JB
Thanks for your help.

I'll find this book... I've read many books and articles on evolutionary psychology (Tooby, Cosmides, Barkow, Buss, Lloyd and others...) from cover to cover

Tanya
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Tanya, you note that you were surprised by Neeson’s response (regarding anti-theistic bias in the biological sciences) and indicate that you’re unsure what he was trying to tell you.

I think he’s saying this: The anti-theistic bias, or atheistic bias, in much of the biological sciences today (e.g. evolutionary psychology), is so ingrained and pervasive that it often precludes and/or interferes with truly open minded and objective thinking, investigation, and understanding.

In other words, in your empirical research, in the pursuit of your scientific interests, if you, like so many in the biological sciences today, begin with the core conviction that the universe and we are essentially nothing more than the result of some sort of random, inexplicable, accidental event, then that belief will have a profound and unhelpful impact on your pursuit of true science and true understanding. Keep an open mind and/or be an agnostic.

On the other hand, maybe George is just trying to sell you on his Classical Adlerian Psychology.
Old December 19th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H.
Tanya, you note that you were surprised by Neeson’s response (regarding anti-theistic bias in the biological sciences) and indicate that you’re unsure what he was trying to tell you.

I think he’s saying this: The anti-theistic bias, or atheistic bias, in much of the biological sciences today (e.g. evolutionary psychology), is so ingrained and pervasive that it often precludes and/or interferes with truly open minded and objective thinking, investigation, and understanding.

On the other hand, maybe George is just trying to sell you on his Classical Adlerian Psychology.
Fred! Thanks for your explanationes. You translate English into English for me ... Yestarday I saw G. Neeson's home page about Adlerian Psychology. Also I thought about his answer in the context of his scientific effort and practical work.
Old December 19th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Forum Leader

Default More Advice for Tatiana that She May Not Need

The psychology department at Pitt greeted us with "you are here to get out of school, not to do great research."
Marty got his PhD in three years. He socialized with no one and used his advisor's literature, equipment, and subjects. He even got home to his beautiful wife and new baby every evening.

A few of us also socialized never but otherwise ignored his example, worked like hell, had multiple publications before leaving, and were caught by a vision that pulled us through in 4 years.

Others just kind of settled in, one of them an otherwise future hobo in a bloodstained lab coat. He put electrodes in rat brains, his girl friend in clinical gave him a Rohrschach before dating.

First priority:
Do you have a vision? Are you driven to be famous? Or will you do the practical thing? Will you overlay Rorschach images on top of EP themes? Or read what Helen Fisher says about mating and line her up with Freud? Or interview metro riders in regard to their standards for an acquaintance, a colleague, or a mate?

Famous people usually welcome students but pick your famous person carefully, they can be major pains. Established investigators in less prominent settings will expect careful work and not necessarily expect to seduce you or spend more of their time traveling, giving papers, and working the political angles. (I also recall that Peter Medawar put together a small book of advice for prospective scientists. Check the library.)

If you really want to do the partner thing, then run down Rapaport or Alexander. Or Martin Nowak or even Karl Sigmund. Karl Grammar also does interesting, perhaps revolutionary work on nonverbal communication that links up with Strogatz. Also, and a tremendous lead that may excite you but also put you out of mainstream work: Stephen Strogatz, "Sync." (I have a chapter, nearly done, that goes through implications of what he tells us. Willling to share it with you on a limited basis.)

Good luck...

JimB
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Default Re: More Advice for Tatiana that She May Not Need

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brody
The psychology department at Pitt greeted us with "you are here to get out of school, not to do great research."
Marty got his PhD in three years. He socialized with no one and used his advisor's literature, equipment, and subjects. He even got home to his beautiful wife and new baby every evening.

A few of us also socialized never but otherwise ignored his example, worked like hell, had multiple publications before leaving, and were caught by a vision that pulled us through in 4 years.

Others just kind of settled in, one of them an otherwise future hobo in a bloodstained lab coat. He put electrodes in rat brains, his girl friend in clinical gave him a Rohrschach before dating.

First priority:
Do you have a vision? Are you driven to be famous? Or will you do the practical thing? Will you overlay Rorschach images on top of EP themes? Or read what Helen Fisher says about mating and line her up with Freud? Or interview metro riders in regard to their standards for an acquaintance, a colleague, or a mate?

Famous people usually welcome students but pick your famous person carefully, they can be major pains. Established investigators in less prominent settings will expect careful work and not necessarily expect to seduce you or spend more of their time traveling, giving papers, and working the political angles. (I also recall that Peter Medawar put together a small book of advice for prospective scientists. Check the library.)

If you really want to do the partner thing, then run down Rapaport or Alexander. Or Martin Nowak or even Karl Sigmund. Karl Grammar also does interesting, perhaps revolutionary work on nonverbal communication that links up with Strogatz. Also, and a tremendous lead that may excite you but also put you out of mainstream work: Stephen Strogatz, "Sync." (I have a chapter, nearly done, that goes through implications of what he tells us. Willling to share it with you on a limited basis.)

Good luck...

JimB
I must to think, James...