Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old April 9th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Default Cognitive Behavioral Self-Regulation Software

I am creating a software application that will ideally help people using it gain a better understanding of their lifes and how to get more enjoyment out of it.

It is a Windows desktop application as well as a Mobile device application that can be carried on PDAs, cellphones, etc. Both versions of the applications will interact feeding on each other's data.

At the core of the program is the concept (widely used in the corporate world) of data mining and business intelligence. I am trying to connect these concepts with clinical psychology theories, mainly Cognitive-Behavioral and Gestalt Therapy as well as other theories in Information Processing such as Gaming Theory. Some Eastern philosophy concepts on mindful Buddhist meditation will also be applied, along with micro/macro economic concepts such as value & supply/demand applied to individual psychology. However the core theortical background is Congnitive-Behavioral, mainly Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy.

I am looking for a proper place to discuss my development, concepts, ideas and advancements in both the psychological background of my project as well as technical environment (it is being developed in Microsoft.Net using the object-oriented C# language).

Any suggestions regarding the proper place to discuss this are very appreciated. Also, any interest in discussing my development here or in any blog/wiki/forum site is very welcome.

Thank you!

Javier Guillen
javiguillen@hotmail.com
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Cognitive Behavioral Self-Regulation Software

If you want to check out what others have done, one good example is www.myselfhelp.com

It sounds as though you are trying to combine quite a variety of different approaches. You might want to keep it simpler at the beginning.

Good luck.
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:06 PM

That sound's interesting what you are trying to do. I am also interested in this area and I am currently developing an application based on Cognitive behavioral therapy and other approaches.
It is also a windows based application and I have it partially developed at the moment.
I am also looking for the right place to discuss the technical and Psychological aspects. I am also looking for the best place to trial the program and prove the concept. I am willing to discuss it further.

Paraic Walsh
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:54 PM

You might like to take a look at the "Self-Defeating Beliefs Questionnaire" I developed some years ago and which my colleague Richard Lakeman extended into an online version. You can access this at the following link:

http://www.rational.org.nz/public/Be...e/welcome1.htm

I wonder whether incorporating such disparate approaches as CBT & Gestalt might be a bit ambitious?

All the best with your project. I would be interested to hear more as it develops.

Regards,

Wayne Froggatt
New Zealand Centre for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
Old June 7th, 2008, 07:11 PM

I think some CBT techniques lend themselves somewhat to computerized versions wheres I am not familiar with Gestalt or if it can be adapted in this way. Another online CBT application that I have come across is at
www.livinglifetothefull.com
This is a bit like your program in that it involves alot of reading. It also has alot of Audio and to me it's more like a course structure. The program that I am working on is very much computerized versions of existing techniques that work on paper. There is reporting to analyze the results of these techniques and a body of data builds up over time for the patient. For privacy reasons it runs on the local computer and not online.

Paraic Walsh