Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old March 6th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: When the therapist screws up

No criticism of the intentions or dedication of most of the folks who work with crisis hotlines, especially the volunteers, so long as they get the training, are diligent in what they do, and understand their limitations (we don't need the occasional maverick volunteer, which happens in any field).

I advocate for a standard of care that is clinically proper, regardless of funding availability or politics. If we don't push the envelope, society, politicians, and voters have no motivation to make things better, and patients who suffer because of mediocre care -- regardless of the reason -- will keep suffering. I'm not unreasonable when I criticise (I've been on all sides of the process), but I think I have valid views about what people really can do, and what patients really have a right to expect, in many situations.
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:16 PM

Hey Dr. Reid,

I completely agree of course. The main problem I keep coming back to is that not enough funds are allocated to take care of the weakest in our society. Until we have solved that issue it will do little good to point fingers at anyone - we are all sitting with limitations, good intentions, and not enough resources to do what clearly needs to be done.

Da Friendly Puter Tech
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
Forum Leader

Lightbulb Re: When the therapist screws up

Thanks for reading this thread! The Law, Ethics and Psychotherapy Forum gets a lot of readers, but few new posts. You are invited to contribute statements, comments or questions to keep the forum alive. Pick something you like, or something you don't like, but don't let the threads go stagnant! All I ask is that we avoid personal questions from patients (we can't do clinical work or second-guess therapists here, but we can have professional discussions among clinicians about ethics or forensic scenarios). We also avoid personal attacks.

The possibilities are endless. You can simply reply to a post in an existing thread, or start a new one. Do you have questions or experiences that involve the ethics or legal aspects of training? clinical work? termination? malpractice or malpractice lawsuits? forensic careers? criminal matters related to mental health? boundaries? work with courts or lawyers? work in correctional institutions? work with parolees or probationers? clinician impairment? laws affecting practice?

Choose something you're familiar with or something you want to know more about. If you want suggestions, you're welcome to check out my website at www.psychandlaw.org.

Thanks,
Bill Reid, Forum Administrator
Old November 21st, 2009, 03:07 AM

Default When the therapist screws up

Around here, when two people are racing and one crashes, the police track the other one down and lay charges. How would you have felt if the guy had been killed or injured?
But maybe Im asking a silly question.........John C
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:20 AM
Forum Leader

I don't understand your post. Were you responding to a particular post in this thread? Or maybe meant to post somewhere else?
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:34 AM

Default When the therapist scre

if you deny someone the right to live or be free, than you deny yourself both those rights. If you kill someone, it should be the right of the government to; kill you, imprison you, or put you to work somewhere.

Usually it is not a citizen, but the government that commits the second offence; to deny someone the right to be free. If the government stops people from voicing their beliefs and freedoms, thus destroying their right to free speech, it is the right of the people, to spill the blood of the government in an attempt to overthrow them. And if they suceed, those who did not die have the right to do the same things as the government was allowed to do to the killer; imprison, kill, or put to work.

Edit: I just realized that in the second paragraph I just described modern day Iran and Germany. There are probably more. Of course, it is the choice of the people when you get killed in Iran, and often the same is true in Germany. The fact is, people are messed up. I dislike liberal views in the since that I strongly disagree with most their beliefs, but I wouldnt kill them to keep them from taking political ground. This is often done in Germany, Iran, and Pakistan. And incase your wondering about Germany, they kill anyone who speaks out for Nazism because they want to stop it from becoming powerful again.