Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old February 12th, 2005, 07:20 PM

Post Is this true? please read

i had the chance to read something that is supposed to be claimed. this states that dr. erickson helped a 20 year old guy increase 12 inches of his height, thanks to hypnotical proceedings in the span of a year. i have researched thru google but did not find anything regarding this.

please help me with some useful and proven feedback on this matter.

thanks in advance!

pauline
Old February 13th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Lightbulb Seems like it could be true.

Hi Pauline,

Although Out of Print, I suggest that you check O'Hanlon and Hexum's, An Uncommon Casebook: The Complete Clinical Works of Milton H. Erickson, M.D. On page 48, the authors give the following case summary: "MHE saw a 20-year-old man with stunted growth. MHE found that the man saw everything as if he were much smaller than he really was, as if he were looking at the world from his waist height. MHE got him to hallucinate his world as if he were standing partway up a staircase. After a time of this, the man grew 12 inches in one year. MHE never wrote the case up because he was certain no one would believe it."

The authors cite Ericksonian Approaches to Hypnosis and Psychotherapy, edited by Jeff Zieg, published in 1982, p 282 as their source. As I do not have a copy available, perhaps Dr. Zeig could further speak to this.

Best wishes,

Joe O'Rourke

Last edited by Joseph C. O'Rourke, LCSW; February 13th, 2005 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Change the title
Old February 13th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Is this true? please read

wao!!!! amazing!!!!!!!! i wish i could apply the same method on myself since I am 5 feet.
Old February 14th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Forum Leader

Pauline,
This forum is not for therapy. The data on growth that has to do with such increase has been noted for young individuals who suffered from a huge amount of parental frustration and were shifted to loving environments. I worked with a teen who grew at least 12 inches in a year once he was in an accepting environment and out of the punishing home. This change is not about altering genetics or other scenarios. This is not the course that changes everyone. Age of intervention seems to be a significant factor. If this is in anyway relevant for you and you seek therapy, do not post here. Contact 602-956-6196 and ask for Jeanine and get a referral for a therapist in your vicinity.
Stephen Lankton
Old February 14th, 2005, 06:36 PM

ok, clear enough. i was not looking for therapy since it would be impossible for me to attend it since i don't live in usa.
i suppose the forum focuses mainly on discussions in an upper professional level regarding psychological research. i am still very interested in the topics adressed.

thanks for the information and data regarding the case.
Old February 20th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Thumbs up

Pauline,

Please reread what Mr. Lankton recommends. You do not say where in the world it is that you live; however the Erickson Foundation stretches around the globe. They have Institutes in many Countries, and can recommend practitioners elsewhere.

If interested, you could check see what is available, at: http://www.erickson-foundation.org/i...s/institut.htm

Good luck,

Joe O'Rourke
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:35 AM

Hi ...................
Hypnosis became popular as a treatment for medical conditions in the late 1700s when effective pharmaceutical and surgical treatment options were limited.An expanded role for hypnosis and a larger study of techniques appear to be indicated.
Good Bye
Old August 14th, 2010, 07:32 AM

This is all just a bunch of crap.
It is claimed that Erickson took tens of thousands of case, and only 2 cases failed. The rate of success of Ericksonians is miserably low, and none of them is willing to talk about it...
My impression is that Erickson reported cases according to the fantasy of how it could have been resolved, rather than how things actually went...
Ericksonians prefer talking in theory about how to do things, rather than actually take a case and work on it... And this is why they all want to be trainers...
U r better off reading a Carlos Castaneda novel. U will got some joy out of it, u can even imagine the possibility of the thing happening, and u can try to use his techniques, but it rarely yields results...