Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old August 5th, 2004, 01:45 AM

Default Question Regarding Experience

Mr. Lankton,

Can you discuss your theoretical background prior to studying under Dr. Erickson? After you starting studying under Erickson, how long did it take before you were able to incorporate the theory, principles, and interventions into your practice from the first session until the termination session?

I guess what I am trying to figure out is how long it might take to become an Ericksonian therapist vs. using one or two Ericksonian principles or interventions while treating a specific client. My sense is that the Ericksonian mindset takes a while to integrate because it is so unique and is not so technique oriented (i.e. the opposite of cognitive/behavioral therapy)
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Question Regarding Experience

Hi John,
I was off line for several days...hope you didn't have to wait a long time for a reply.

Before studying with Erickson I had a great deal of training. My graduate program allowed me to take both the psychoanalytic track ~and~ the behavior mod track. I quess the dept head liked me and made an exception. At the same time I was enrolled (for 4 years total) in a post grad Gestalt Therapy training program and seeking certification as a clinical member in transactional analysis (which takes a min of 3 yr). I had some extensive other training opportunities which I listed on my web site under the personal statement: bioenergetics and other approaches. I met Erickson and also brought Bandler and Grinder out of CA about the same time (mid-70s) and helped in the early development what came to be called NLP by 1978.
I'd say ti took me 3 years of visits before I "got it" sufficiently to be saying that I could begin predicting his direction. I visited like clock work for 7-9 days every 3 mo.
Keep in mind that he was a real kaleidoscope of mystery. Students can 'get it' more quickly nowadays I think since so many of his students have labeled and systematized what we learned.