Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old October 25th, 2004, 05:14 AM

Default Re: Superiority/Inferiority

What an intersting conversation this is.
Reading through the posts another meaning for the word 'überlegen' (as a verb this time) comes to mind .

I grew up with the German language, but was born in Zürich, Switzerland and guess what, not until only a few months ago when studiyng 'Guide Children's behaviour' have I come accross the name of Adler and found all other information on Henry Stein's website - thank you very much! - and now I'm hooked!!

To this 'überlegen ' now- meaning thinking it over, mulling it over - like a layered thought process. Although the German language as you say is so precise, here it comes as a noun and as a verb with different sort of conotations.
But when you do think about it - when you do 'überlegen' this ...I would understand it as the one who has 'Überlegenheit' is the one with the most 'layers' of facts, knowledge, strength, nuances ....well whatever the thing is one is striving for .
And of course if it is a ficticious one it belongs in the realm of wishful thinking, a thinking that has not taken into account all available perspectives. The German people, even the German speaking Swiss, do get this critique (from their otherspeaking countrymen) to have their heads/noses too high and thinking they always know everything better than the others.
It is quite an aggressive/over-confident sort of way to get ahead and I've heard it mention, that the 'arian' race (or their ancestors) had this aggressiveness - needed it -to survive and expand in those mountenous regions in ice age -times.

Something to 'überlegen' nicht wahr....
Rita
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Associate Moderator

Thumbs up Re: Superiority/Inferiority

Rita thank you so much for your delightful response. I envy your ability to speak German and know the subtle nuances of that rich language. Your response with your gentle humour gives us another window through which we can look at the wonder of Adler's thinking and the riches of his use of words. I do so much hope that you will continue to monitor these threads. You are so helpful. Thank you again for your gracious help.
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:50 PM

Hello Rita,
Your response gave me that broad smile, when you talk about the "Hochnaesigkeit" of the German and the Swiss. Maybe it is just because of their natural habitat that they feel that they have to surmount anything. Mountains are just there to be conquered.)) off to the highest peaks. But I can assure you Rita, that the Dutch are equally "hochnaesig" as the german and swiss. And our country is flat. There is really no natural phenomenon to conquer, although...the SEA... Living beneath sealevel, we had to tame the sea. Our collective goal of "superiority".
Paul
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Thanks so much George and Paul for your gracious replies. I am looking forward to visit ‘Behaviour online’ often to stay in the loop and nurture my interests.
As I might have mentioned earlier, my only knowledge about Adler’s Theories comes from the “Classical Adlerian Quotes” I’ve downloaded from the net. For me this is just enough food for thought to digest over time and I find it to be a treasure chest. When coming across such detailed information, written a century ago, I wonder why not more of these concepts have made their way in to the mainstream of thought. We seem to have great difficulties in separating the wheat from the chaff – meaning- that many educational and/or political programs are making so many mistakes and end up going round in circles – no real progress being made.
But I do see, having personalities evolve and mature in their own space/time frame is a laborious undertaking.
As a ‘Lay-Therapist” (forgive me this presumption) , trying to understand and accompany my fellow earthlings when ‘passing by’, there are many potholes to trip into.
Personality Types are fascinating and I find myself looking at all sorts of Theories (Enneagramm, Kersey’s temperament sorter and more). I agree with Mr Adler, that these are but ‘fictions’, guiding lines along unmapped territory –but for the moment interesting to work with.
Many Adlerians (Müller ..) and their understanding as well as many of Adler’s quotes have left deep impressions and I’m happy to have found a way to share them.
Actually I think, there could be quite an avalanche waiting to happen –(it’s all those mountains Paul…) but I trust your combined and seasoned wisdom to catch me when I fall….
Rita
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Associate Moderator

Exclamation Re: Superiority/Inferiority

Rita it is wonderful to have you with us, Adler is almost overwhelming in terms of the width and breadth of his insights. i doubt anyone has fully appreciated all he has to say, but some folks like Henry and his teacher Sophia sure come closer. I do think you undersell yourself. I think you know more than you let on! I can never recall who said what, but someone has said that "Adler is to psychology, what Einstein was to physics" and they were both field theorists who have not yey been fully understood save by a very wonderful few.
Old October 31st, 2004, 10:51 PM
Associate Moderator

Question Re: Superiority/Inferiority/& Vanity

The exploration of Adler's precise German usage is necessary to further the "From the Ground Up" thread. Can someone tell me what specific word(s) Adler used for "vanity"? It is such an in your face notion compared to the notions of the "empathy/realationship" psychologies, that I feel I need to get more of a handle on it. I truly appreciate the assistance I am receiving from those of you who can access the German text and have fluency in that so expressive language. Many thanks.
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:09 AM

George
'vanity' is translated into Eitelkeit, Leerheit, Nichtigkeit which you probably found out yourselves. Nichtigkeit comes closest to being/feeling inferior.
But if you get to know that particular word Adler uses for vanity, I could dwell on it further.
Rita
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:36 AM
Associate Moderator

Yes Rita, those are the various German words I was aware of. I wait "with baited breath" to hear which ones Adler uses. Nice to see you sharing with us.