Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old November 11th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Associate Moderator

Lightbulb Help with losing postings

From time to time while doing lendthly postings in the forums "WYSIWYG" EDITOR, THE POSTING MAY SUDDENLY EVAPORATE! This is an annoying problem, at least to me, because all that "brilliant" information that I had just typed in, dissappeared and I can't recall what I typed or am too lazy to do it again. There is a way to prevent this ... a work around. Open the forums as usual and enter a title for your posting. Then minimize Internet Explorer (if that is the one you use) and bring up your word processor. I use Word for Windows. Type your posting in Word (it usually won't crash and burn), then go up to "file > save as > type > text only with line breaks and give it a name and save it. (You can delete it later if you wish. What you are trying to do is change it from Word format to generic text format and still save the line breaks.
Next copy the posting from the word processor to the clipboard either using "edit > select all, or drag your mouse pointer over it and click on "Edit > copy. Now maximize your Internet Explorer (click on it on the title bar or what ever it is called at the bottom of the page), then in the forum window click on your RIGHT mouse button which brings up a drop down menu. In that menu is the word "PASTE". Click on that and in a few seconds your posting will appear. Then if it doesn't you still have the file saved so you don't have to type it again. WOW, the wonders of modern computers!
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Help with losing postings

Another factor may be the length of time a "reply" window is left open without submitting it. To play it safe, I first compose a message in Note Tab Pro, a text editor, then open a reply window and paste the copied text right way. I've never lost a message doing this.
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Associate Moderator

Cool Re: Help with losing postings

Yes indeed Henry, that makes sense. Actually simple windows Notepad will do the job as long as the posting is not over 64,000 bytes I think is the limit. That is easier than using word and you are already in *.txt format so it saves a step or two. I have had the forum evaporate several postings in progress and all those "pearls of great price" might have been lost .