Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old December 4th, 2010, 07:58 PM

Default Dissociative ego states

So, my therapist says that I seem to have a dissociative disorder...we've done a lot of ground work within these last two months and even though I'm anxious and was just wondering WHEN we'd begin EMDR therapy I'm only now starting to be curious about all the "gibberish" he'd been telling me before the actual EMDR began. I have to admit that when I want something I tend not to listen to whatever doesn't seem relevent to what I want. So, when my therapist was talking about my defense mechanisms and that I seemed to display different ego states without amnesic barriers I just thought it'd all go away with EMDR and didn't pay too much attention to what he'd been saying telling myself "He doesn't know what my real problem is" "He's just trying to get more money out of me" etc. Our last session he felt that we were ready to begin the EMDR work and it seemed like nothing happened even though he said he found what my "defenses" were and was trying to get me to see them. I admit that I did see the pattern of where my thinking takes off but I guess I was expecting something for profound to take place. He just used a pen back and forth in front of my face and I didn't see how that would conjure anything up in me. Does anyone know what dissociative disorder without amnesic barriers is? I don't know what that means. Thanks.
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Dissociative ego states

when people are dissociative with amnesia barriers the parts of self don't know each other or don't know what each other knows. then if one does emdr it tends to bash holes in those barriers and cause flooding and great surprise and distress. sometimes the holes aren't easily repaired and the person has lost their capacity to protect oneself from what they aren't ready to know. better to do ground work and prepare with ego state therapy.

if there are no amnesia barriers per say, no time loss in present time, the risk is lower. still, the defenses will become evident. shining on the cautionary statements ahead of time don't serve you but can be understood as defensive.

the most important thing is, for many people, and I have no idea if this applies to you, to get the powerful defensive parts on board, oriented to present time and circumstances. talking to one's therapist about all these things is the most critical thing one can do.
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Dissociative ego states

PS. It also makes ALOT of sense to ask specifically what training and experience in treating dissociative disorders ANY EMDR therapist has, because some know little or nothing and some know alot. In my opinion, ego state therapy really needs to be involved.