Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old March 5th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Forum Leader

Talking Slavic Male Syndrome?

A bittersweet riot!

By Alina Rudya in the Kyiv Post:

"As a Ukrainian woman, I've had the most exposure to Ukrainian men. The first thing you notice about them is their physical appearance. Most of my foreign girlfriends and I have noticed that most Ukrainian men are not very attractive ... physically. This can be generalized to Slavic men. You always hear about how pretty Ukrainian girls are, but you have probably never heard of a Ukrainian male supermodel.
One of the reasons for this is called 'Slavic man syndrome.'"

Lots more at http://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/op_ed/36768
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Forum Leader

Cool Ukrainian Women

Alina Rudya of the Kyiv Post did a wonderful piece about UA men: her follow-up on UA women is out.

"If you need to feed your child and nobody needs your brain, no matter how hard you try, but everybody looks at your boobs, you would also consider changing your profession from nuclear physicist to stripper.... And other women (who are not that attractive) go into politics and business or become feminists."

Measure jaw widths? Meanwhile, I think I could love this woman!

More at http://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/op_ed/37191
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Forum Leader

Cool Re: Sync 'n Lies

This could have been "lying in the sink" but I resisted!

Kuramoto again: similarity plus mutual influence leads to synchrony. Ambivalent, developmentally incomplete males are not going to commit in ways that are more obvious than was true for traditional men. Likewise for feminized females...

Alina Rudya of the Kiev Post, on courtship and marriage...

"The fact that most women prefer lying to themselves about their relationships and feelings is obvious. Its obvious to others, but not to yourself, when you in that kind of a situation. Women invent various signs and actions which men are supposed to perform to demonstrate their love or interest. And here I'm talking about all women in general.

"And I know that some feminists and other independent and mature females would confront me here and say: "Many modern women don't want to get married and have children. They don't get desperate when they are 34, but they still don't have kids and family."

But emancipation is one thing and biology is another."

Pretty girl and I would help her biology but I'm 67....drat! And the phenomenon she describes is general to western cultures and leads to our disappearance, perhaps via genomic imprinting...

More at http://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/39513
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:56 AM
Forum Leader

Talking Mating: "Why We Marry Foreign Men"

Why We Marry Foreign Men

By Tetiana Vorozhko

"It's not about the money, it's about partnership, writes Tetiana Vorozhko.

"I am a Ukrainian woman in a happy marriage with a U.S. citizen. Our story is a part of a modern trend. Many of the girlfriends I used to hang around with in Kyiv, as well as my own sister, are now raising children in Warsaw, Munich, London, Toronto, Denver, Oklahoma City and Los Angeles; our friends in the Washington, D.C., area are mostly mixed couples of Ukrainian women married to American men.

"Why is that?

"The reasons are plenty. In many comments to Alina Rudya's article [The People of Ukraine: Part 2 -- Women, Kyiv Post, March 12], both Ukrainian and Western men blame Slavic beauties for chasing the money. OK. Who doesn't? Everybody wants better lives for themselves and their offspring. Let's be honest. That includes the ability to buy better things and do more exciting stuff.

"All women around the world prefer men who make more money, the same as our ancestors preferred Stone Age hunters who could kill more game to feed their families. Even if a girl in love marries a poor guy, she still sees some potential in him. Nobody goes into a lifelong union determined to stay poor forever."

You might talk to some nuns and Muslim sisters who swap pain and deprivation now for gold, smiles, and comforts later. Does a nun get 72 male virgins when she dies?

More at Http://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/op_ed/38742