Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old July 27th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Forum Leader

Default Online psychotherapy

This is the problem with archiving old discussions and starting with a fresh, new discussion board: no one wants to be the first to post! :-)

Last edited by John Suler; August 6th, 2004 at 08:35 PM..
Old August 1st, 2004, 10:05 PM

Thumbs down 2nd to post

Hello,

So you were the first! What is the topic? How about this:How effective is online therapy?

AJ
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:16 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: The first to post

Feel free to create that as a new topic. That issue came up in the welcome thread.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:20 PM

Red face Online therapy - Does it work?

John,

Were you "talking" to me in addressing what? Does online therapy work? As a person who has tried it a few times the word trauma comes to mind. It can be helpful in different ways. Though I had to weed through a few to find a competent therapist. As someone pointed out somewhere Dr. Freud sat behind the patient so he could not see if the client was crying or not. Todays therapists are so hung up on the senses thing. "We must see the client! We must hear the client!

If Dr, Grohol is lurking about, I am also a beginning therapist, not just a client, so you don't have to worry about me spilling my guts all over the screen.

Even though these online T's have their credentials listed some can be whacky and crazy and it is traumatic when a client finds those people.

Some of the benefits of online therapy is that one can post anytime and not wait for the next session. That is what i love. In f2f one is told to hold the thought or feeling...for the next session. But online one can type out their feelings and get a quicker reply. If one is crying or angry and the session is up, who wants to pull that emotion back up next week? It doesn't make sense.

Anyone care to comment?

A
Old August 5th, 2004, 11:01 PM

Cool GateKeeper

Hello Space Dwellers,

This site has got to be disappointing to the GateKeeper - John Suler. No one is posting. I check this site at least 3 times a day and nada! Where are the students? I know the real live therapists are busy and booked with 15 clients a day so we can excuse their presence. OK, its only been a month or so, so give it time, the tiny voice in my head is saying. Kids are busy shopping for college stuff. WHere is everyone else? I wonder if Charlie Manson is online? god, i don't even want to think about it. Would online therapy help him or is he too far gone?
A
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Forum Leader

This forum tends to move at a very asynchronous pace :-)

No doubt about it, online therapy can be helpful for some people. And for other people it's not the rigth choice of therapy. Here's an article you might find useful:

http://www.rider.edu/~suler/psycyber/myths.html

btw.... just to help Freud out a bit.... that's not the reason why Freud and other analysts sat behind their clients.
Old August 7th, 2004, 07:41 PM

Talking Online therapy

John,

Now that you are leaving on vacation who will be guarding the postings? Have you assigned a fill in?

Now to the important topics at hand. What were the reasons Freud sat behind his clients? I don't remember anything from Freud 101.

I went to the site where the myths of online therapy were listed. Give me a few days and i will be back with some arguments and you can read them 3 weeks from now. Hopefully I won't get carried away and post 67 messages.

Here is a question for you. Have you tried online therapy?
A
Old August 8th, 2004, 04:16 PM

Hi John,

I really enjoyed this article.

I think another reason why on-line therapy can be most helpful, is the fact that it is easier to "open up" to a "stranger". It lessens the emotional risk involved. A lot of people feel daunted at the thought of discussing their personal problems with someone in person. Also, I feel that just the act of "writing" and reading what they have written is very helpful. Sometimes it is just easier to get your thoughts down on paper than to try an verbalize them. I also feel that it makes one's thoughts and feelings less abstarct and easier to understand.

I am part of a cross dressing peer to peer support group, as my hubby is a cross dresser. I joined to try and assist some of the wives with their fears and concerns, as I am ok with his cross dressing. I have found that the support and encouragement on this forum to be exceptional. I just don't think we would have the same openess in a public group.

Thanks for the great read I strive to learn something new everyday
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:51 AM
Forum Leader

Good points, Jassmine. The partial anonymity does help people open up online (the so-called "online disinhibition effect")... and writing can be very therapeutic for people... at least for people who have skills in reading and writing. I may have posted this previously, but here's an article I revised recently about the online disinhibition effect:

http://www.rider.edu/~suler/psycyber/disinhibit.html