Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old July 30th, 2006, 05:25 AM

Default How to structure an advanced CBT course

I would appreciate any feedback on the following: This coming academic year I am teaching a class of 20 MA ( second year) students in clinical child psychology. These students have had a full academic year a basic CBT course with some supervision on a CBT case. The supervision was given by the course instructor since in the clinics where the students see a kid there are no CBT supervisors.
Now what would be a good way to further the development of these 20 students whom I see for 1,5 hour a week for one academic year ( 30 weeks alltoghether). These students do an intership in mental health clinics, two days a week. Any suggestions, ideas etc are welcome.
Joop Meijers
Jerusalem
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: How to structure an advanced CBT course

It is difficult to make solid suggestions about how to structure an advanced CBT course without knowing more about what was covered in the first course. After a course that covers the basics of CBT and supervised experience on one or two cases, most grad students will need more supervised experience before they will really benefit from moving on to more advanced topics.

If I were teaching the class, I might be inclined to have them read a different text on CBT with children and adolescents than was used in the first-year course as well as a text on CBT with families. I'd try to locate good videos to watch and discuss. I'd present case examples and get them to discuss treatment options. I'd focus on conceptualizing cases in cognitive-behavioral terms and coming up with appropriate treatment plans. I'd try to help them make educated choices about whether to pursue individual therapy, family therapy, consultation with the parents, or a combination of the above. We'd discuss how to adjust CBT to take the child's developmental level into account. For their big project of the course I'd probably have them do a detailed case study including conceptualization, treatment plan, problems encountered or anticipated, and a brief summary of relevant research.

I hope these ideas are useful. Any suggestions from participants who have taken (or taught) similar classes would be appreciated.
Old August 24th, 2006, 08:12 PM

Default Re: How to structure an advanced CBT course

In addition to James' suggestions, here are a few more things I get my CBT students to do:
* Present tape-recordings of therapy sessions along with a structured analysis of the session - this gets the students reflecting on and critiqing their own work;
* Developing a 'mini-manual' throughout the academic year, where the student picks an application of CBT (e.g. depression, children, etc.) and describes how to carry out treatment, working on the principle that the readers will be a group of their colleagues who have only minimal knowledge of CBT. As well as writing up the mini-manual and presenting it for assessment, at the end of the year each student does a short presentation on the topic of the manual to the rest of the class.

Hope you find these ideas useful,

Wayne Froggatt
Eastern Institute of Technology,
New Zealand