Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old June 30th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Default emdr during pregnancy

Is it contraindicated to do EMDR during pregnancy? I'm concerned that a)abreaction might induce miscarriage b) trauma processing might lead to the transmission of loads of stress hormones through the placenta, and thus might be harmful to the fetus. If so, it seems like a bit of a catch 22. In other words, if a client comes to me, pregnant, wanting to clear a previous miscarriage or otherwise traumatic birthing experience---should I tell her she needs to wait until after she has the baby to clear the trauma? Any insights or suggestions on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old July 1st, 2007, 02:16 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: emdr during pregnancy

The risks and benefits should be weighed. The neonate will experience what the mother experiences, so there would be a biochemical wash during the processing. If the processing can wait until after the pregnancy, that may be the best alternative.

On the other hand, if the mother is highly fearful of delivery, so the EMDR would actually contribute to the wellbeing of the infant, it may be justifiable to process the fear before delivery.

That which can be contained until after the delivery should be delayed for many pregnant individuals.