Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old January 16th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: How ethical is my therapist?

As someone has already pointed out, this forum is not intended (and shouldn't be used) to comment on or participate in individuals' therapies and relationships with their therapists. Having said that, Da 'Puter, Just Ben, et al., are right. You have three obvious and appropriate options and it seems odd that you are not using them (but rather are chewing the fat with strangers):

(1) Talk to your therapist about it. That's part of therapy and it's probably encouraged by the therapist. I am at a loss to see why you haven't done this or are coming to a forum to wrestle with why you should do it. If you're not doing talking to your therapist about it, you're not doing your part, and you sound plenty competent to do your part. (2) Check with a faculty member or supervisor in your training program. They're probably a lot more convenient, knowledgeable about your situation, and professionally reliable than a Web forum (even ours) with regard to getting a second opinion or reality check. (3) Check the social work ethical guidelines yourself. It's your field, and you're no doubt somewhere near a social work library.

Until you've done at least one or two of the above things yourself, continue to believe something is amiss, and have your "amiss" impression corroborated by someone you can personally talk with, this is a therapy issue, not an ethical one.
Old February 11th, 2005, 02:53 AM

It's easy to imagine being upset and even sad in your situation, SWS.

It seems there are several different kinds of conversations you might have with your psychiatrist. I'd wager you'd do better simply talking about how *you* feel emotionally, and about your fantasies about what she's thinking, doing, meaning by her behavior, etc. If on the other hand you ask her to explain herself, to provide a good reason, etc., you'll have a whole different (and maybe less satisfying) conversation and result. If you can muster it, I'd suggest the former approach ... and if not, then perhaps talk about how you are in an unspecified situation where you need to speak up but can't.

Perhaps with some exploration you can find out what has silenced you here, and perhaps elsewhere. And if you can't do either, I'd suggest you consider switching therapists.

By the way, while it doesn't apply to psychiatrists who have their own code, the NASW Code of Ethics talks about the duty of loyalty to clients ... whatever the wording of each code, that's a reasonable expectation for you to have. So maybe she's been really sick, but leaving you in the dark and uncertain is not necessary, in my book.

Good luck!
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:47 PM

Ethics aside as I think that issue has been covered, you did say that you plan to be a therapist? If that is the case, how would you want a client of yours to address this issue with you? Your therapist can't read your mind nor can you read your therapists mind. If you are unable to bring up the issue, what is happening in your sessions to leave you with the impression you aren't in charge?

These are just some questions to ask yourself. Maybe the answers will help you make some choices for yourself.
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:12 AM

Dear patient:

Your therapist is rejecting you.It's that simple.No need to make excuses or to tolerate this behavior.

Quit immediately and do not pay for any of the sessions you have had.

nd then report her to the local or State psychological Association.

Do NOT attempt to 'talk" about this with her(or him.,).

It is unprofessional as well as damaging behavior.

Leave at once!!!!
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Forum Leader

Although we cannot become involved in individual therapy matters, it seems odd that you would write to strangers on a forum before talking with the therapist or, if that doesn't halp, with someone more directly associated with your situation.

WHR
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:30 PM

I'm wondering if you are really asking about the ethicality (is that a word?) of her behavior or if you are really asking do you have a legitimate right to be dissatisfied?
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Forum Leader

Lightbulb Re: How ethical is my therapist?

Thanks for reading this thread! The Law, Ethics and Psychotherapy Forum gets a lot of readers, but few new posts. You are invited to contribute statements, comments or questions to keep the forum alive. Pick something you like, or something you don't like, but don't let the threads go stagnant! All I ask is that we avoid personal questions from patients (we can't do clinical work or second-guess therapists here, but we can have professional discussions among clinicians about ethics or forensic scenarios). We also avoid personal attacks.

The possibilities are endless. You can simply reply to a post in an existing thread, or start a new one. Do you have questions or experiences that involve the ethics or legal aspects of training? clinical work? termination? malpractice or malpractice lawsuits? forensic careers? criminal matters related to mental health? boundaries? work with courts or lawyers? work in correctional institutions? work with parolees or probationers? clinician impairment? laws affecting practice?

Choose something you're familiar with or something you want to know more about. If you want suggestions, you're welcome to check out my website at www.psychandlaw.org.

Thanks,
Bill Reid, Forum Administrator
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:21 PM

I agree with everyone that it helps the therapist get to know more about you. And it's obviously public so anyone can read it, but I still find it a little creepy. I don't know why, it just seems weird. But it could be that they're just really concerned about helping you, which is great.

Last edited by ForumAdmin; February 23rd, 2009 at 05:06 PM..