Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old June 1st, 2006, 11:09 PM

Question Attraction to Therapist

When I was young I was sexually molested. After this, in my "normal" relationships with my family (and the few friends I had) life was marked by little to no nurturing and safe touch. (This is just saying touch was withheld - which is a whole other issue - not saying that it was replaced by continous sexual touch). But I had more sexual touch that was inappropriate at a young age and had not enough "safe" touch to counter the "bad" touch.

And what it seems like now, when I genually care about someone or have an attachment or bond, I usually sexualize the relationship.

Similar has happened with me and my therapist. I have been with her for 2+ years now (took me 15 years to find a therapist I connect with). And I have had sexual thoughts and fantasizes about her. And somehow we have a "safe enough" relationship where I have actually told her of my concerns about this. It took a while to bring it up and I did it in backdoor way, talking about what I mentioned in the previous paragraph. (And also discussed my self-gratification tendencies)...and in a round about way I was having a "vision" while we did therapy with my eyes closed. And by process of elimation, it was evident that she was part of my vision. And I did admit to it, because I knew she knew, and because I wanted to bring it up sometime because I know it happens with other people besides her.

So now, we are working to redirect this. And she said that when I have sexual images/fantasizes I should try to bring them up, so we can understand the more appropriate response and to "normalize" the sexual feelings in me. She said I could speak it, or write it out and then read it, or just have her read it. And I was able to speak one vision I was having (about her) and it didn't "hurt" and she was able to lead me to a safer place with it and she didn't "run away" freaked out by me.

That is an obivous fear that she will be appalled by me, that I'll say something wrong by bringing up things. She continues to assure me she has heard a lot of things and I have already told her some things in print before that were a bit more "graphic" about what used to happen in my life. So she has heard it from me too.

My main questions here (I apologize for rambling) are:

(1) Am I a "freak" for having these thoughts about her?

(2) Is there anywhere I can read up on this to help me understand why and how it happens and the approach to deal with it (such as an online article etc.)?

(3) Have other therapists used the approach of having people talk about these images and feelings toward others and self, to put them in a better context and help direct feelings toward a more appropriate response?

Thank you.
Old August 17th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Attraction to Therapist

The first two times I was in long-term therapy had sexual fantasies and feelings about the therapists. They were both open to talking about it with me. Both told me the feelings were important and they were willing to talk about them and both reminded me there was no chance my desires and fantasies were going to be enacted with them. They put me very much at ease about what I was feeling and fantasizing while not coming across as exploitive. It sounds like you have made a good connection with your therapist. How much of your fantasy or whether or not you choose to share them at all is up to you.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 09:19 AM

There are strange areas of the human mind that have a desire to resist morals and rules of the society. I am not a bad person, I am very empathetic and kind, actually. I volunteer my time at homeless shelters etc.
Old October 1st, 2010, 06:58 PM

This is actually very normal and happens. The good thing is the therapist was willing to listen and was open without shutting you down on this matter. Good for them and for you.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:06 AM

Default FlirDating

tupoderla narod ru/znakomstva-murmanskaya-oblast html]çÃÂ*à êîìñòâà ìóðìà ÃÂ*ñêà ÿ îáëà ñòü
tupoderla narod ru/znakomstva-bobruysk html]çÃÂ*à êîìñòâà áîáðóéñê
tupoderla narod ru/site-407 html]ïîçÃÂ*à êîìèòüñà ¿ â êèåâå
tupoderla narod ru/znakomstva-bez-registracii-v-samare html]çÃÂ*à êîìñòâà áåç ðåãèñòðà öèè â ñà ìà ðå
tupoderla narod ru/otkrovennye-znakomstva html]îòêðîâåÃÂ*ÃÂ*ûå çÃÂ*à êîìñòâÃ
tupoderla narod ru/page-342 html]îêñà ÃÂ*à çÃÂ*à êîìñòâÃ
tupoderla narod ru/page-436 html]çÃÂ*à êîìñòâà áîð
tupoderla narod ru/sayt-znakomstv-v-sankt-peterburge html]ñà éò çÃÂ*à êîìñòâ â ñà ÃÂ*êò ïåòåðáóðãå
tupoderla narod ru/site-331 html]çÃÂ*à êîìñòâà ìà ë
tupoderla narod ru/page_552 html]õî÷ó ïîçÃÂ*à êîìèòüñà ¿ ñ èÃÂ*âà ëèäîì
tupoderla narod ru/znakomstva-magadan html]çÃÂ*à êîìñòâà ìà ãà äà ÃÂ*
tupoderla narod ru/site-384 html]ÃÂ*îðìà ëüÃÂ*ûå çÃÂ*à êîìñòâÃ
tupoderla narod ru/znakomstva-harkov-bez-registracii html]çÃÂ*à êîìñòâà õà ðüêîâ áåç ðåãèñòðà öèè
tupoderla narod ru/page-101 html]çÃÂ*à êîìñòâà â à ðõà ÃÂ*ãåëüñêå è â îáëà ñòè
tupoderla narod ru/site-589 html]áåëîðåöê çÃÂ*à êîìñòâÃ
tupoderla narod ru/doc_268 html]çÃÂ*à êîìñòâà âëà äèìèð ñåêñ
tupoderla narod ru/doc_311 html]ãäå ëó÷øå ïîçÃÂ*à êîìèòüñà ¿
tupoderla narod ru/site-591 html]òþìåÃÂ*ñêèå çÃÂ*à êîìñòâÃ
tupoderla narod ru/site-581 html]çÃÂ*à êîìñòâà îðøÃ
tupoderla narod ru/znakomstva-v-novom-urengoe html]çÃÂ*à êîìñòâà â ÃÂ*îâîì óðåÃÂ*ãîå
tupoderla narod ru/site-554 html]çÃÂ*à êîìñòâà ýêñïðåññ
tupoderla narod ru/page-423 html]âèäåî ôëèðò
tupoderla narod ru/site-446 html]çÃÂ*à êîìñòâà â ñèáèðè
tupoderla narod ru/page_162 html]ýðîòèêà çÃÂ*à êîìñòâÃ
tupoderla narod ru/page_677 html]ïîçÃÂ*à êîìëþñü äëÿ îáùåÃÂ*èÿ
tupoderla narod ru/page-490 html]ïîçÃÂ*à êîìèòüñà ¿ ñ æåÃÂ*ùèÃÂ*îé áåç ðåãèñòðà öèè
tupoderla narod ru/page-523 html]çÃÂ*à êîìñòâà à ðòåìîâñê
tupoderla narod ru/page-45 html]òà òà ðëà ð çÃÂ*à êîìñòâÃ
tupoderla narod ru/znakomstva-v-chuvashii html]çÃÂ*à êîìñòâà â ÷óâà øèè
tupoderla narod ru/page_684 html]ã èâà ÃÂ*îâî çÃÂ*à êîìñòâÃ