Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old September 24th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Forum Leader

Default How do I find good training in Cognitive Therapy?

I often get questions about how someone who has finished grad school and is practicing out in the real world can get good training in CT.  Some of us were fortunate enough to receive comprehensive training in Cognitive Therapy in graduate school, in practica and internships, in post-doctoral training, or on the job. Others of us have been less fortunate.

For most people, the first alternatives which come to mind are reading and workshops. These can be quite valuable but have obvious limitations. We are fortunate to have many good books on CT available (see the recommended readings listed in this forum) but reading a good book is very different from having the opportunity to discuss the material covered or gaining supervised experience in applying the material. Workshops can be interesting and useful but a one or two day workshop does not give you the opportunity to try out the interventions in practice then return for follow-up. I would advise you not to stop with reading and workshops but to consider some of these other options as well:

* Look for an organized training program. If there is a Center for Cognitive Therapy in your area (or in the nearest large city), good training may be easily available. The Academy of Cognitive Therapy's web site http://www.academyofct.org lists both workshops and on-going training programs. A number of the CT centers around the country offer extended CT training programs designed to meet the needs of practicing clinicians. These programs vary from Center to Center but typically meet for 60 or 70 hours over the course of a year and include readings, lectures, video, experiential exercises, and opportunities for consultation.

* If no organized CT training program exists in your area, consider importing one. If your employer, local psychological association, or a group of like-minded colleagues is interested, it probably would be feasibly to bring someone in to conduct a CT training program. This costs a bit of course, but if you have 20 or so who are interested in participating, it may well be affordable. The Cleveland Center for Cognitive Therapy (my outfit) offers training nationally and I bet many other Centers do as well.

* Find a consultant or supervisor. If you can locate someone in your area who is qualified to provided supervision of consultation in CT, supervised experience combined with reading and workshops can give you a solid foundation. To locate possible consultants or supervisors contact the nearest Center for Cognitive Therapy, check the Academy of Cognitive Therapy directory at http://www.AcademyofCT.org, check the AABT directory at http://www.aabt.org, or check with your local university's Psychology department.

* Organize a peer consultation group. Locate a few like-minded colleagues who are interested in meeting regularly to discuss cases, raise questions, and discuss readings. Meet regularly, and make it clear that the goal is to learn, not to try to impress each other. It may take a little effort to stay on task rather that just BS-ing but you will find that this can be really valuable.

In this thread I will post training opportunities as I discover them. Please add any opportunities you have located which I do not mention.
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Forum Leader

Thumbs up Making training in Cognitive Therapy affordable

From time to time I hear from organizations (such as CMHCs, group practices, psychology departments, etc.) that would like to sponsor training in CT but who have a limited budget. Here are some ideas for making training more affordable:

1. Shop around - not all presenters charge the same or offer the same programs. Less famous presenters may present a good workshop but charge less.

2. Open the program to professionals in your area and charge them to attend - it is not hard to defray a substantial portion of the cost of a program or even make a profit.

3. Collaborate with other organizations - several organizations can co-sponsor a program and share the costs.

4. Collaborate with other organizations - several organizations can each have their own program but schedule the programs so that they can share the travel expenses and possibly get a "quantity discount" from the presenter.

5. Write a grant - We've worked with at least one organization that wrote a grant and was successful in getting a foundation to cover the cost of a training program for their staff.

6. Talk with your local drug reps - pharmaceutical companys often will contribute unrestricted educational grants towards programs which will give them good exposure. This is especially true if a significant number of physicians will be attending.

7. Sponsor a "Train the Trainers" program for senior staff - then have the attendees train the rest of the staff.

8. Pool your CE budget - rather than budgeting funds for each person to find their own CE programs, have individuals with shared interests pool their CE funds to cover the cost of bringing in someone who will present a program tailored to their needs.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 10:04 AM
Forum Leader

Default Diploma in Advanced CT Studies, Oxford, UK, 2006

Dear Colleagues,

I am happy to announce the forthcoming Oxford Diploma/MSc in Advanced
Cognitive Therapy Studies, for which the next starting date is January

If you would like to know more, please consult the Oxford Cognitive
Therapy Centre web site: http://www.octc.co.uk

All the best,

Melanie Fennell
Course Director
Old August 18th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Question Re: How do I find good training in Cognitive Therapy?

I have just completed a CBT introductory module in the Uk, and try though I might cannot find a distance Masters in CBT. I am presently living in South Africa where its just not on offer at all.
any ideas?
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:08 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: How do I find good training in Cognitive Therapy?

If you are looking for a Masters degree that would include training in CBT, it might work best to identify approprite Masters degree programs and then check to see what they offer in terms of training in CBT. I haven't looked into Masters degrees offered through distance education so I don't know what is available.

You might also check with Dr. David Edwards in the Department of Psychology at Rhodes University in Grahamstown to see if he has any suggestions about training that might be available in South Africa.
Old November 1st, 2005, 10:19 PM
Forum Leader

Default The Beck Institute offers a number of training programs

The Beck Institute offers Extramural and Visitors training programs as well as specialized Extramural Programs for Distance Learners and for Residency Training Directors and Supervisors, as well as Inpatient/Outpatient Staff Training Programs, Videoconferences, and a Cognitive Therapy Workshop Program/Speakers' Bureau. Detailed information is described on their website (http://www.beckinstitute.org ) under Training.
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Forum Leader

Default Intensive Training in Cognitive Therapy. Cleveland, 10/06 - 7/07

The Clinical Practice of Cognitive Therapy is an intensive training program designed to meet the needs of practicing mental health professionals. It has been presented in Cleveland, Ohio annually since 1984. The faculty are James Pretzer, Ph.D. (the moderator of this forum) and Barbara Fleming, Ph.D., both Founding Fellows of The Academy of Cognitive Therapy.

The program meets 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., one day a month (either Fridays or Saturdays) for 10 months starting in October. It consists of a sequence of four seminars, totaling 69.5 contact hours. The seminars cover both the basic principles of Cognitive Therapy and the application of these principles to the treatment of depression, suicidality, anxiety disorders, personality disorders, and other problems. The program combines didactic presentations, discussion, video-taped demonstrations, practice in using of Cognitive techniques, and consultation regarding the application of Cognitive Therapy in clinical practice. Successful completion of this program meets the academic requirements for certification by the Academy of Cognitive Therapy.

Brochures with detailed information about the program are mailed annually in mid-July. To make sure that you recieve a copy, email your mailing address to jimpretz@sbcglobal.net.

Note: If you live too far from Cleveland for it to be practical for you to travel to Cleveland once a month, it may be possible for us to offer this program in your area. If it is possible to assemble a group of 20-25 mental health professionals who want to register for a training program, we should be able to travel to your area to present it for about the same fee as we would charge to present the program in Cleveland (and the organizer attends free of charge). For details, contact Jim Pretzer at jimpretz@sbcglobal.net.
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:59 AM

Default Re: How do I find good training in Cognitive Therapy?

the University of Derby does some good elearning courses and are accredited by the BABCP; check out training courses on babcp.com
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:34 PM
Forum Leader

Default A new trend?

In the past few weeks we've had a major surge in inquiries from organizations (mostly CMHCs and hospitals) who want to provide on-site training for their staff. This isn't remarkable in itself since we've done on-site training for years. However, in the past, most places were interested in one-day workshops. Now we're hearing from places who want to offer more in-depth training. We'll be presenting a 10-month intensive training program (one day a month for 10 months) for a group of CMHCs near Columbus, OH and two other organizations are thinking seriously of having us present similar programs.

It's an encouraging trend. This may be what it takes to make CBT widely available to the clients who need it most.
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Forum Leader

Default Advanced Training in CBT Oxford, 2008

In September 2008, the Oxford Diploma/MSc in Advanced Cognitive Therapy Studies will start again. This unique two-year part-time course was developed in response to the recognised and increasing need to enhance access to evidence based psychological treatments, and in particular cognitive behaviour therapy. In order to meet this need, we also need to increase the number of competent cognitive therapy supervisors and trainers. This is what the course is designed to do. It leads to an award by the University of Oxford, and its objective is to provide trained and experienced cognitive therapists with the knowledge and skills they need in order to disseminate the approach effectively and confidently in their own places of work. With this objective in mind, it addresses five main areas: updates on cutting edge developments in clinical theory and practice; supervision principles and practice; training skills; research in the real world; and service development. The format is intensive 2-4 day teaching blocks, six per year over two years, which means that people can attend who live at some considerable distance.

If you would like to know more, please see our web site for detail: www.octc.co.uk