Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:40 AM

Thumbs up Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

Yes, my sentiments exactly - thanks George!

What magic indeed could be wrought.
So, that leaves us with 'getting on with it' doesn't it........

(how do you insert your smilies ???)
Have a good week - Rita
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:27 AM
Associate Moderator

Default Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

Rita to insert smilies click on the drop down arrow just to the left of the scissors and to the left of the underlineed "A" and a set of emoticons will drop down. Just choose the one you wish and click on it and voila!

Last edited by George Neeson; May 23rd, 2005 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:09 AM

I'm puzzled
Can't find either drop down arrow or scissors anywhere in this reply format. Rita
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Associate Moderator

Lightbulb Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

Rita click on the "reply button" at the bottom of the the message. The "reply to thread" screen pops up in the "WYSIWYG" editor.

First line is Title:
then a space
then two A's on top of each other to the right of which is a space with the font name, next space more right is font size (usually 2) then an "A" with an underscore and an arrow (down) to its right with a smiling face to the right of that. To the right lower part of the "A" is a tiny down arrow which when clicked on will give you the emoticons. Make sure that below the "submit reply" button under "Additional options" that you have not clicked on the check box that says "Disable smilies in text" or you won't see them.

Last edited by George Neeson; May 24th, 2005 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: correction
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:38 AM

thanks again for that, but somehow these "A's" dont show on my screen and when I press the smilies 'smorgasboard' which is placed on the right of the message space, it shows up in words, like etc.
So maybe my programs won't let the smileie faces happen.
Not to worry - I'm happy seeing them interspersed in your mesages!!
Rita
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:39 AM

Oh, wow - here they were - in form - once they got send off - that's great.
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Question Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

Greetings, esteemed members.

I am a "newbie" to this board, but a seasoned veteran when it comes to Internet message boards. I'm one of those socially inept weirdos that spends more time in the sanctuary of my home typing at people over the 'net than actually speaking to them in person. The username that I chose to use here is actually one that I use of several other communities as well. Please do not take it to be offensive; it is -- and trust me on this one -- the manifestation of a lifetime of self-introspection and awareness. (And too true, to boot.) I earnestly pray that you good people will forgive my need for anonymity here, but being the board vet that I am, I have seen more than my share of internet interactions go unbelievably awry, some actually resulting in police involvement, so flying under the radar is important to me.

You ask why many peruse yet few post? Perhaps this behavior would be an interesting topic of discussion? To what would Adler attribute this? Why are people afraid of exposing their ignorance?

(As you can see, I overcame that fear long ago. )

I am a brand-spankin' new grad student (counseling) working on my theory class. I took an entire class on Adlerian psych during my undergrad years, but alas, that was many, many moons ago ... (enter vintage violin music) ... and many brain cells have been laid to rest since then. I don't recall too terribly much about theory, but observing the adeptness with which our professor, Oscar Christensen (anyone know him?) handled young children changed my perception of behavior forever.

I've yet to read through this entire thread but I am finding several places where questions are solicited. So here is my question, and that which led me to it (I'll take Adler vs. Freud for $500, Alex!) :

My textbook tells me that Kefir designated the four personality priorities; what is the concensus on how well this relates to Adler's safeguarding tendencies? And along these lines, another question: if I understand correctly, Adler departed from Freud in that he came to believe that humans cannot be reduced to sex and aggression. How much, if at all, did Adler recognize the id, ego and superego? And is the personality priority of "comfort" just way of restating that our id will forever automatically stick its hand in the cookie jar first before anything else? Rather, is the priority of comfort just another way of satiating the id?

May the commentary commence.
SSLW
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Forum Leader

Kefir's four personal priorities do not reflect Adler's conception of the uniqueness of the personality. Using grossly simplified typologies are seductive to the beginner, but do not yield a therapeutically useful portrait of the individual. The id, ego, and superego are antithetical to Adler's view of the unity of the personality. Read Chapter 7 (The Style of Life) in The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler, edited by Heinz and Rowena Ansbacher.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:22 AM

Thank you. I appreciate your time.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:16 PM
Associate Moderator

Lightbulb Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

I feel you have not been exposed to the real teaching of Adler's psychology but rather a derivative of the APA typology notions as seen in the DSM catalogue.
1) Adler does not speak of FOUR personal priorities but rather of the FICTIONAL GOAL OF PERCEIVED SUPERIORITY of every person. This derives from the feeling of inferiority that derives from the child's perceived personal inferiority also known as the "inferiority feeling". It is enshrined in the "private logic" of a person and is a set of childlike conclusions that have not been subjected to the scrutiny of adult logic because they are just below the level of being fully conscious.
2) Far from using the notions of Id, ego and super-ego, Adler declares a personal holism or unity that is drawn by the above goal of "fictional superiority.
3) Adler does not address a "personal priority of comfort", but speaks very much about the suffering of this inferiority feeling which can utterly be done away with when a person sees themselves as fellow beings working for the benefit of mankind ... "social interest", which becomes the single healing force for all psychological maladaptation. The "id" of Freud is nothing more than the expression of egocenticity expressed in the adult who wishes to "be on top" in any way he deems appropriate as he disregards the well being of the community of mankind. The "cookie jar" is nothing more than the child like belief in the possibilty of personality superiority. Personal superiority is not attainable. All that one can do when one sees things with encouraged adult eyes, is play ones fair role as an adult yet unique being, in the world of mankind.