Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old June 16th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Forum Leader

Default Life Style Analysis by Adler - A Must Read!

"Volume 9 of "The Collected Clinical Works of Alfred Adler - Case Histories" brings together three of Adler's books: "Problems of Neurosis," "The Case of Mrs. A.," and "The Case of Miss R." Although these books were previously published in English, the text required substantial editing for readability. Adler's diagnostic brilliance now shines through without the distractions of dated terminology and awkward phrasing.

Adler takes us on a fascinating journey of life style analysis through progressive levels of depth. In "Problems of Neurosis," he offers us vivid thumbnail sketches of thirty-three cases, spanning the symptoms of depression, obsession, compulsion, alcoholism, schizophrenia, clairvoyance, agoraphobia, impotence, sadism, masochism, and jealousy. He also discusses the general topics of family constellation, earliest recollections, body postures, sleep postures, organ dialect, and hypnosis.

In "The Case of Mrs. A.," Adler takes us a little deeper into a single style of life. Working from the notes presented by another physician, he spontaneously comments on each segment of information offered to him: making conjectures, then testing them as he clearly illustrates the coherence of a style of life.

"The Case of Miss R." takes us into yet deeper waters. This autobiographical narrative of a young working-class woman was strikingly frank about her sexual awakening in early twentieth-century Vienna. Adler's artful evolution of a unified psychological portrait is compelling to follow, as he weaves all of the early family influences and social conditions into a beautiful, vivid tapestry.

Volume 9 is a "must read" for anyone interested in the art of life style analysis. His remarkable theory springs to life in this superb series of richly varied case histories.

To order your copy of Volume 9, go to http://www.Adlerian.us/cwaa-v9.htm.

Last edited by Henry Stein; February 27th, 2010 at 11:22 AM..
Old July 27th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Associate Moderator

Thumbs up Re: Life Style Analysis by Adler - A Must Read!

Having done training with Henry and having read most but not all of the preceeding works in the series "CCWAA", it is a delight to read volume nine with the touch of the master at work. My thanks to you Henry for your dedication and contribution to the body of work by Adler.

This is a must read indeed!
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Life Style Analysis by Adler - A Must Read!

Hi,

Being new here, I am attempting to work out the "ground rules." I am interested in the materials offered for sale and would like to buy them, as the local libraries (both public and academic) offer precious little in the way of Adlerian content. My question is; does one have to be a student to access these resources or can anyone purchase them?

Thx

Charles McNeil
London, Canada
Old December 22nd, 2005, 03:17 PM
Associate Moderator

Tha Alder translation books are for sale from Henry Stein. Link to his web page and follow the links to the volumes listed. May I suggest that it is most helpful to read them in chronological order, because Adler's ideas do develop over time.
Nice to see another Canadian on the forum!
Go to Henry's web page and go down quite a piece to Tapes and books I think it is.
Link:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hstein/
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:19 PM

Thank you for the information.

Happy New Year,

Charles

ps VE3BDM, 73, de VE3HBB
(and also a photographer)
Old December 31st, 2005, 07:57 PM
Associate Moderator

Well Charles good to hear from another HAM that likes Adler. What is your QTH please? 73
Old January 22nd, 2006, 08:04 AM

G'day and happy new year
I'm not quite sure if I found the proper thread-slot but I urgently need to share my delight in having received and reading Alexander Müller's "You shall be a blessing".
Although I have expected great things, I am still in awe of the man and his view and the way he states it. Including Adler's concepts (like community feeling / striving for a goal) in his thought streams bring a new understanding to them. I'm simply lifted........

Rita
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:53 AM
Forum Leader

Thread topics are flexible, so this is a fine place to share your response. I'm very pleased that you found Müller and his book so meaningful and uplifting. Liker Adler, he has the ability to fuse deep feeling and profound meaning. Editing Sophia de Vries' translation was a labor of love. Jim Wolf and I first had lengthy discussions with Sophia's daughter Elske Soghikian, who knew Müller and helped us refine the manuscript. Elske shared many fond memories
of him, emphasizing his warmth, gentleness, and brilliance. Jim and I spent many months discussing a multitude of subtle theological and psychologcal issues. Many talks evolved into "peak experiences" -- Müller can have this impact on a reader.

If there is enough interest, we could even start a thread on You Shall be a Blessing. A fine overview of the book can be found at "Philosphical and Spiritual Implications of Adlerian Psychology".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Schaad
G'day and happy new year
I'm not quite sure if I found the proper thread-slot but I urgently need to share my delight in having received and reading Alexander Müller's "You shall be a blessing".
Although I have expected great things, I am still in awe of the man and his view and the way he states it. Including Adler's concepts (like community feeling / striving for a goal) in his thought streams bring a new understanding to them. I'm simply lifted........

Rita
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:54 AM
Associate Moderator

Thumbs up Re: Life Style Analysis by Adler - A Must Read!

Rita how good to see you posting again. You Shall be a Blessing is a blessing to read. If I get a bit discouraged with my work, Muller gets me refocused. Continue to bless the folks you work with in 2006.