Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:20 AM

Default Help in treating a child who selectively speaks

Hi, I am working with a child who is 6 years old. She only speaks when prompted to, at school, and with me. I am counseling her. This is difficult when she will not talk. The mom is mildly retarded and the father is an alcholic. The parents both go into rages when they are angry. They smash things and punch holes in the walls. The father has been abusive with the mom. He is verbally and physically abusive.

The child shows very little emotion. When ask to take a book from me, she will just stand and stare at me. She does talk to the parents and siblings. The brother who is 4 picks on her constantly. She has gotten so angry that she has smashed out her windows in her bedroom.

She also wets her pants frequently. The medication she was on was alderol, and the mom took her off of it when she heard the reports on tv that it was dangerous. The mom stopped the medicine without the doctors advice. She did not even wean her off. The child was sick and vomiting and shaking. I tried to convince the mom that she needed to put her back on the meds until she saw the childs doctor.

I want to know how I can help this child. Why she will not talk among strangers? I want to do the best things for her, but not sure what that is. I am open to all suggestions.

Thank you.
Bee
Old August 4th, 2006, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Help in treating a child who selectively speaks

Hi, You were discussing a child in an abusive situation..My personal experience is that the child is being abused mentally and physically. My daughter was abused by my first husband. He would throw things and break things when he was mad or did not get his way. You have not gained the little girls trust. She feels that you can not protect her from her parent or parents. It all sounds very familiar. My ex-husband never had any agressive behavior toward my child in front of me. When she was left alone with her he would scare the living day lights out of her. He would lock her in a cold dark basement after I left for work. He told her that he would kill me and she would be next. He told her if she told anyone he would kill them to. He also convinced her that if the police took her away she would never see me or any of my family again. She is afraid to take anything from you for fear of most likely being beaten with the object or being tormented with it in some way. Place the child and her family in a room with video and audio and see how they interact. If you are uncomfortable with this suggestion call child protective services. You have a couple of options you can tell them who you are or keep your identity a secret. The family needs intervention before somebody is killed. Quit feeling helpless and save those children before they turn out as disfuntional as thier parents are.