Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old May 27th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Default Applied Behavior Analysis and Art Therapy

Hello all,
I am currently working on my Counseling degree as well as certification in Art Therapy. I need to decide between a Mental Health or Behavior Analysis Track to complete my area of specialization.
Can anyone tell me if and how Art Therapy is used in Behavior Analysis? I know I definetely want to work as an ATR in some way, but I also realize the chances of getting a job as an ATR are low if I don't also have a Counseling degree. ABA sounds interesting, but I don't know as much about it as I do Mental Health Counseling.
Any information would be great in helping me make my decision.

Thank you,
Susanne
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Applied Behavior Analysis and Art Therapy

As far as I understand it only people who have done an MA at this time can become ATR’s. A certification does not give you the credentials to practice art therapy. In addition to work independently as an art therapy ATR’s usually need to take a counseling exam if their states allow it. In IL for example we can take the LCPC test to become a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor. In many states art therapists are still not allowed to get a license to practice independently. I suggest you seriously think about which filed is more important to you and to go for that. A certification in art therapy will make you more sensitive to the art making process if your clients and allow you to reefer to an ATR when necessary. In terms of behavior analysis there are different schools of thought. On one extreme polarity there are those art therapists who insist that every image should be imperially and scientifically tested to link it to a certain disorders and on the other pole many insist that the process of art making itself is helping clients in a almost invisible and intangible manner that can not be measured by science. For example scientists can measure brain waves during the dream cycle but do those patterns tell them anything about the content of the dream? I have respect for both schools of thought, however a word of warning; analyzing client’s work in a multicultural society with out paying attention to all the complex qualities that makes the person who they are is at best perilous. We can not; it is my belief, separate the artwork from the artist and then somehow surmise its intent. Recent articles have raised serious doubt about the validity of much of the projective drawing tests. So best of luck in what you decide and I hope this helps. Regards, Hoda