Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.
Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > BOL Forums > Evolutionary Psychology


Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread January 30th, 2005, 10:03 AM
James Brody James Brody is offline
Forum Leader
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia area
Posts: 1,143
Default Country & Western Power Laws

Country & Western Power Laws

Power laws (Barabasi, 2002; Strogatz, 2003; Murray, 2003) describe emergent networks wherein 20% of the players access 80% of the action and thousands of players share the remaining 20%. Vilferdo Pareto, Alfred Lotka, and Zipf reminded us of such things. We find power laws operating in phase transitions and in "self-organized" systems. We also find them in human, insect, and dolphin sociality and in that of neurons.

They also work inside our cells: ATP is the mulla-yenta-alpha that attracts resources and shares them with the camel jocks and omegas. Infinite variety then accrues to old structures as ultrabithorax and abdominal A or B build their respective castles and heads and bellies follow parallel but sometimes divergent evolutionary paths. The way to only one of a man's hearts is through his stomachs!

The C&W Top-40 hint of a power law function. The fun stuff that jumps like popcorn is played in the first 90-120 minutes of the C&W survey on Sunday morning. The last 40 minutes is less chaotic in artists and in song. McGraw, Brooks & Dunn, and Alan Jackson are often at top; McBride, Womack, and Reba McIntire are there with them but less prominently. (One more time, the guys are on top!) Sometimes, consistent with Barabasi (2002), a fast-recruiting newcomer moves into the top: Gretchen Wilson surprised all of us.

The C&W data for the last 50 years present an easy master's thesis for an abacus driver versed in behavior genetics and evolution.

James Brody

More Reading

Barabasi, A-L (2002) Linked: The New Science of Networks. NY: Perseus.
Murray, C. (2003) Human Accomplishment: The Pursuit of Excellence in the Arts & Sciences, 800 B.C. to 1950 NY: Harper Collins.
Strogatz, S. (2003) Sync: The Emerging Science of Spontaneous Order. NY: Hyperion.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995-2004 Behavior OnLine, Inc. All rights reserved.