Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old October 20th, 2005, 03:08 AM

Question Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

I am glad you posted a reply to the sad, sick little woman aka comedian

My thoughts were like the comedian's. I believe a book co-authored with Adler started this confusion. Comparisons to Freud are not intended to be 1:1 but rather illuminate distinct differences and enhance understanding of Adler's perspective. (As a fossil student - I found the whole "self & others" class very frustrating but always enjoy theory)

Anyways, I read your first post George. I am pleased you decided to keep it going (although only in ground effect for the first while) rather than stall the wings of knowledge.

Piper Commanche
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Associate Moderator

Lightbulb Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

I have stopped trying to grow this thread because trying to "simplify" Adler's theory is fraught with too many risks. As you will read on Henry's web page, to understand this theory takes great effort and committment. Any attempt to circumvent this proper process would be similar to attempting to teach general relativity using only high school algebra. It can not be done. If any items in this thread have raised your interest, and you wish to achieve any level of real understanding, you must study under one of the designated "certified training analysts". With anything less your ability to assist clients with some understanding of the theory, is improved, but you will not approach being able to dissolve "the archaic life style". That is the bad news. The good news is that studying with someone like Dr. Henry Stein is a joy and delight!
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Default Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

So glad to find you! I am a Licensed Professional Counselors in private practice in Colorado. My initial training was in Adlerian Therapy and I am finding that I have over the years (15), I have adapted and incorporated so much new learning (outside of Individual Therapy) into my clinical work that I have become sloppy and am in need of a tuneup! A primer is exactly where I need to begin.

I am particularly interested right now in a refresher course on case conceptualization a la Adler.

Thanks so much!

Tamara
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

Tamara,

Welcome to our forum! As part of our distance training program in Classical Adlerian Psychotherapy, the Alfred Adler Institute of Northwestern Washington offers a course titled "Case Analysis and Treatment Planning," described at http://go.ourworld.nu/hstein/dt301.htm. There are also prerequisite courses that build a foundation for using our approach--your prior Adlerian training may or may not be compatible. It would help if you could first e-mail your Curriculum Vitae to htstein@att.net and then call me at (360) 647-5670 to discuss your professional objectives.

Dr. Stein
Old January 28th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Associate Moderator

Thumbs up Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

Tamara how nice to see you request a "tune up". My initial training was done through the notions taught at the Chicago School. I found that I really was not understanding what was going on in the folks I was struggling to assist. I too, tried to include an eclectic set of tools, none of which got the job done. I have been doing course work with Henry for about 2 1/2 years now, and thanks to his expert teaching and caring approach, my work no longer feels stuck and stale. I have much more to learn but learning is part of life. I see your hunger and recall being in the same situation. To truly have the riches of this psychology start to become part of how you see life, is a disciplined and wonderful challenge. Kind regards.

Last edited by George Neeson; January 28th, 2006 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: typo
Old March 31st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Associate Moderator

Thumbs up Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

Add another 15 months and it is even better. Henry's distance training program remains highly recommended!
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:45 PM

Smile Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

Hi George and Henry,

I recently discovered Adler and must say I have never felt so connected to a theory before. What I love about this approach is that it is not just a theory, but a foundational ideology to live your life. I am currently a hypnotherapist studying Psychology and never felt that other approaches had alot to offer me. I am certainly not disrespecting other schools of thought, I just never found that connection. Just in the short time I have been reading Adler I have discovered alot about myself and it has significantly helped me to overcome my feelings of inferiority. I have a particular interest in drug and alcohol education and therapy and feel Adler has alot to offer in regards to this. I am so looking forward in purchasing the complete clinical set and will be enrolling in Henry's distance certification when I finish my studies. I would also like to encourage any other people who have recently discovered Adler's ideas to post hear as I feel this topic could be a real inspirational learning experience for us. I have also enjoyed the other various topics and believe this could be a wonderful reference point for us students. Unfortunately there is not alot of infomation on Adlerian ideas here in Australia.
Kind Regards,
David Jenkins.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Associate Moderator

Smile Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

David welcome to the discovery of Adler, the most underrepresented and most comprehensive theory in psychology, in my opinion. I am delighted that you have "caught the bug". When I discovered him from my background as a physician, it was like a breath of longed for fresh air. The stuff I had been exposed to in psychiatry with its heavy neurotransmitter and mechanistic assumptions, bothered me terribly. Suddenly .... a psychology of hope! Commit yourself to the long process of learning it and you, if you experience what I did, will find it to be a life changing undertaking.