Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old February 10th, 2005, 10:39 AM

Default Help with Research Project-

Hello/ Buenos dÃÂ*as,

I hope you are having a nice day.

My name is Larry Villegas and I am trying to do a research project for a senior seminar class.

I have seen many articles where Psychologists talk about underutilization of mental health services among Latinos and other minorities.

Well, I want to test the hypothesis that when you provide more indepth teaching (more than a brochure) about mental health or stress management then Latino men are going to be more likely to use those services.

Now, I wanted to have a group presented with just a brochure and another group with a 30-45 min intervention, and have both groups fill out a questionaire.

My question is: Should I just measure willingness of using services? should I go with attitudes? I can't find instruments to measure knowledge, attitudes or behaviors toward mental health...thoug I imagine it exists....I could create a survey to measure willingness before and after the brochure or the intervention...

Any thoughts or ideas are deeeeeply appreciated,

Larry Villegas
Washington, DC
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:51 PM

Cool Re: Help with Research Project-

The American Psychiatric Association, which has a very informative web site also publishes a monthly magazine which can be accessed through the web site. Last month the entire issue was dedicated to work with the Latino population. I work for a primarily Latino outpatient mental health clinic in Phoenix Az, Valle del Sol. We have a methadone clinic that has groups, one that is primarily Latino, if you actually are going to complete this research project the counselors here may be willing to help.