Cape Cod Institute

Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > BOL Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread March 25th, 2005, 08:02 PM

Question Letters from Narcissus

As I read the letters, particularly the first three, I was stunned --- my heart was racing and I felt like my stomach was in my throat. You see, I was engaged to Narcissus. I, however, can no longer endure the "tests." I am exhaustive and feel like I have been run over by a semi truck.

I have spent considerable time focusing on him: he did this, he did that, can you believe it, he said this, etc..... I want to channel all that energy and spend some time thinking --- what does it all say about me.

I got a kick out of a couple of comments posted that said something to the effect of: who would want me as a member -- a member who endures prolonged and agonizing tests from the naricissus. I also related so well to the comments regarding "they always come back."

I spent a significant amount of time in this relationship with constant turmoil. He "broke up" with me so many many times that I can't recall all the break ups and reconciliations. From a layman's perspective, it seems so similar to the domestic violence syndrome.

The point of this message: could you point me in the direction of good literature (not too professional, yet not pop psycho-mumbo-jumbo) addressing the issues surrounding someone like me -- the partners that have allowed and participated in the dynamics of narcissus' relationships and who continually go back for more, all the time hoping and praying things will change -- that he will finally "get it" -- and, of course, he never does.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by Just a layman; March 25th, 2005 at 08:14 PM.