Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old April 12th, 2010, 08:52 AM

Default Magic and Psychology

Greetings,
This is really a repeat of a former post. I just placed it in the wrong place. I am new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself. In the interest of full discloser, I must tell you that I am not a mental health professional. I am a professional magician and a student of Milton Erickson. I use Erickson’s techniques in the presentation of my art. I hope I can add something to the discussion from my unique perspective and that I can learn something from you.

WR
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Magic and Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
I must tell you that I am not a mental health professional. I am a professional magician and a student of Milton Erickson.
Rabbit

What a load of crap
Professional? Turkey more like.
I bet you know all the big words. I know them all and not just in field of psycholgy but physics, history and Human science.

I'm your dad.

Boaz
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:38 AM

Wow,

What a greeting. Boaz, I don’t know what I wrote to elicit such a response. I am not trying to demean anybody in the mental health field, if I came off that way I am sorry. If you have a problem with my profession or my presence on this forum, let’s talk about it.

WR
Old April 24th, 2010, 02:41 AM

Hi Whiterabbit

I'm new here as well, your post sounded really interesting so I thought I'd come and check it out. I have no idea what the guy aboves problem is

Could you explain how you incorporate the two together ? Obviously magic is a lot of sleight of hand which psychology plays into but how exactly do you make use of it ?
Old April 24th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Hi Robroin,

Thanks for the introduction. Magic and psychology are not only linked, but are one in the same. All magic happens in the mind of the audience and not in the hands of the magician. In short you create the magic and not the magician. You asked about specifics so I will try to answer as best I can (without writing a book).

As mentioned I incorporate a lot of Milton Erickson’s techniques into my magic. For example I use his concept of metaphor and indirect suggestion in my patter (the words spoken in the performance of a trick), to add to the impact of the climax of the trick and to misdirect. I also use Erickson’s language patterns in order to facilitate a specific state of maid or to encourage emotional states pertaining to the trick. Here is a simple example.

Say I am doing a card trick and I want to build an expectation in the mind of the spectator that they are about to see something amazing. If I say, “Please let me show you something that you will find amazing,” a resistance is created in the mind of my spectator and the trick becomes a “try and amaze me” situation, which sets up competition between magician and audience which spoils the magic’s entertainment value.

Rather if I say, “I would like to show you my favorite trick which people find amazing.” Here the spectator comes to his or her own conclusion that they will be amazed (after all they are a people too). I also incorporate pacing in a story where the character in the story, in the beginning mirrors what I know the spectator is thinking and as the story goes along I draw the spectator into the fantasy world of the story in order to guide their thinking into the wrong assumptions that I want for the accomplishment of the magic.
Does that make any sense? Comments?

WR
Old August 16th, 2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobin10 View Post
Hi Whiterabbit

I'm new here as well, your post sounded really interesting so I thought I'd come and check it out. I have no idea what the guy aboves problem is

Could you explain how you incorporate the two together ? Obviously magic is a lot of sleight of hand which psychology plays into but how exactly do you make use of it ?
Sounds very interesting and somewhat entertaining... Loved to hear more.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:52 PM

I wish there were some magical solution for my problems with my family.
Old September 12th, 2010, 08:11 AM

It's a very interesting topic, people said that A good magician can control what people want to see, I think that will require an advanced psychological skill.